Sign in with
Your question

Please Help....I need a comp and I am new to this

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2009 7:30:39 PM

Hello all,
I am looking for some help in building a new system. My budget is 800 dollars. I am in my freshman year as IT student, so I do not have much knowledge. I would like something that is capable of playing new games although it is not my primary purpose (mostly school work and websurfing). I recently bought an msi laptop (gx630). It was defective and returned. Now I think my money would go further in a desktop. I have looked at barebone kits but I am lost. I would need a monitor as well. So please keep that in mind when budgeting. Thank you

More about : comp

March 14, 2009 8:37:01 PM

Best place to look is the $625 "system builder marathon" builds here at Tom's, they don't include the operating system, monitor, keyboard or mouse, so the $800 budget should be ballpark. They usually focus on gaming, so a downgrade in the graphic card is something to keep in mind (4870 to a 4850 or a 4830.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-e5200-rad...

I hope the next $625 build will include an AMD Phenom llx3 processor.
March 14, 2009 9:15:41 PM

I find I need to do this on a regular basis, so I can see what are the best deals these days... so here is a list:

Antec 300 case
This is a decent case at a good price.

Gigabyte UD3R
Good solid P45 motherboard.

E7400
Good performance at a good price. Easily overclocked with the cooler listed next.

Xigmatek Dark Knight
Excellent cooling.

G.Skill PI Black 800Mhz 4GB
Lots of nice fast RAM. Real purdy too, and the box say, "..enable better performance and long time using." :p 

Seasonic 500W modular PSU
Well, you don't need 650W, and for the price this is an awfully high quality unit...

Corsair 650TX
Well, you don't need 650W, but for the price this is an awfully high quality unit... :p 

HIS 4830
Decent frames. Will play all titles, although not everything at max of course.

WD 320GB
The old standby. You can get more space and faster for just 25 dollars more... so it's just a question of what works in your budget.

Samsung DVD burner

ASUS 19" widescreen LCD
This looks to be a nice budget monitor.

Keyboard and mouse
Nothing special here.

Operating system:
You should get a really excellent student discount, or you might get a freebie even, so I'm not including that.

Total is under 800 bucks right now, before shipping and before rebates.
Related resources
March 14, 2009 9:32:40 PM

Nice build. :)  I would change out the psu though. Here's a modular 550w with good specs. It's part of the new Fatal1ty line put out by OCZ . It's new product so it's on the cheap right now. Take the money saved and maybe put it towards a better vid card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99 ($49.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
March 14, 2009 10:09:15 PM

It looks like a good deal, but I'm not too sure. The only opinion I found (It's not reviewed yet) says that Sirtec is the OEM, which would not be a good sign if true, but not really a deal breaker either.

However, the BFG LS-550 IS actually well reviewed and considered a good deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

March 15, 2009 12:27:40 AM

Proximon said:
I find I need to do this on a regular basis, so I can see what are the best deals these days... so here is a list:

Antec 300 case
This is a decent case at a good price.

Gigabyte UD3R
Good solid P45 motherboard.

E7400
Good performance at a good price. Easily overclocked with the cooler listed next.

Xigmatek Dark Knight
Excellent cooling.

G.Skill PI Black 800Mhz 4GB
Lots of nice fast RAM. Real purdy too, and the box say, "..enable better performance and long time using." :p 

Seasonic 500W modular PSU
Well, you don't need 650W, and for the price this is an awfully high quality unit...

Corsair 650TX
Well, you don't need 650W, but for the price this is an awfully high quality unit... :p 

HIS 4830
Decent frames. Will play all titles, although not everything at max of course.

WD 320GB
The old standby. You can get more space and faster for just 25 dollars more... so it's just a question of what works in your budget.

Samsung DVD burner

ASUS 19" widescreen LCD
This looks to be a nice budget monitor.

Keyboard and mouse
Nothing special here.

Operating system:
You should get a really excellent student discount, or you might get a freebie even, so I'm not including that.

Total is under 800 bucks right now, before shipping and before rebates.

Nice Job.
Stay with the Corsair.
For $79.99 and free shipping its a no brainer
March 15, 2009 1:32:14 AM

Thanks alot for the help. I have put together a couple of systems now. One with an Intel and one with AMD. I am not sure which way to go, but for the money it looks like I will have to sacrifice something. I will keep looking
!