Maxtor DimondMax detected, not opening up, system freezes.

Deele

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Maxtor DimondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA HDD, WindowsXP 32 SP3.
Testing in external USB case. When powered up, and OS tries to get volume info, gives 4 clicks and 1 click with specific sound from drive motor and by HDD Led and goes in neverending loop. DevMngr sees HD model, but Disk Management freezes and waits for drive info until I power off external case.
If there is problem with circuit, please, suggest a store, where to buy new HDD circuits, cause data needs to be recovered.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hello,

The DiamondMax Plus 9 is a regular SATA HDD. To rule out the external USB? interface as the problem, hook the SATA up as an internal HDD (power and data cable) and see if is recognized in the Device Manager and also by the OS in disk management. If it's OK there, then the problem lies in the USB or eSATA or 1394 cabling and PCB interface. If you get the same results, then you know it is related to the drive itself.

Deele

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

Drive came to me with problems. Drive was used previously as storage drive internally, and stopped working (I don't know exact situation). External case is best solution for testing, as operating system will not hang or freeze, if there are problems detecting it.
I realy have no software in CD's or usb keys, to test drive, as I am working most of time, with software problems. Suggest any?

Deele

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
After series of tries with same external case, it started to show one partition, I could eaven select files, but then, I guess, it started to get data about next partition and at that moment it hang up with same strange clicking sounds together with led blinking... 4 times 1 time... and so on...
I dont know, maybe it has 4 platters, it tries to read them one by one, but stops at some particular spot, caused by some hardware failure...?

Deele

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I dont know, maybe it has 4 platters, it tries to read them one by one, but stops at some particular spot, caused by some hardware failure... and that is what makes those sounds...
The same way, with series of tries, I successfully got half-way partition information about sizes... Its 8 24772 85588 20003 and 25957 MB. 8 is for partitioning purpouses, as I remember... It successfully gets that 24772 and hangs on 85588 partition...
I will try to boot with winxp setup disk and use Windows recovery console to try run chkdsk on partitions, hope it helps...