I need help - windows only sees 2.5 gb memory

the bios detects 4 gb - in windows is only 2557 mb :(

when i go to can you run it website it shows my vid card to be 1.5 gb vram , but I'm only using a 9600 gt (512mb)

my mobo comes with onboard grafix .

i tried to disable in bios but it's already set to [enable in no ext peg ] other option is [always enable]

i don't know what I'm doing wrong


my system:

gigabyte ga-g41m-es2l

q9550

4gb ram patriot 800 mhz 444412

320gb hdd
9600 gt 512 mb

windows vista 32 bit


help please???
9 answers Last reply
More about windows sees memory
  1. You aren't doing anything wrong,first a 32bit OS shows max 3.2GB for full 4GB support and more u need a 64 bit OS,also there is no problem with your VGA either,VISTA shows like that,for example when i had a 8800GTX it showed me 1.2GB(or something near it not sure) but 8800GTX is a 768MB card:)
  2. All is normal. That is one reason why Vista 32 gets a bad rap, and why if you are intent on running Vista, you should go with 64 bit. Vista is a memory hog. However, unless you are working with some very large files, or running a lot of multiple applications (Browsing the web, email, listening to music, and working on a spreadsheet is NOT considered heavy multi-tasking by the way) you are fine.
  3. but 64 bit sucks cause theres tons of compability issues, it gets pretty annoying.
  4. keviny47 said:
    but 64 bit sucks cause theres tons of compability issues, it gets pretty annoying.

    I don't know when the last time you used a 64-bit OS was, but your statement is certainly not true. I've been using 64-bit Vista on multiple machines for 2 years and have never had any hardware or software compatibility issues. I'm guessing your statement is about 64-bit XP, because the drivers and software compatibility are excellent in 64-bit Vista and Windows 7.
  5. shortstuff_mt said:
    I don't know when the last time you used a 64-bit OS was, but your statement is certainly not true. I've been using 64-bit Vista on multiple machines for 2 years and have never had any hardware or software compatibility issues. I'm guessing your statement is about 64-bit XP, because the drivers and software compatibility are excellent in 64-bit Vista and Windows 7.


    Hell, I've been using Vista 64-bit since the second beta, and I've had one compatibility issue to date, and that was that Half-Life 2 didn't run properly.

    Pretty much all the compatibility issues came from old hardware and software that no one wanted to upgrade.
  6. running windows 7 64 bit


    everything is well (4gb) and w7 is much better than vista :)
  7. shortstuff_mt said:
    I don't know when the last time you used a 64-bit OS was, but your statement is certainly not true. I've been using 64-bit Vista on multiple machines for 2 years and have never had any hardware or software compatibility issues. I'm guessing your statement is about 64-bit XP, because the drivers and software compatibility are excellent in 64-bit Vista and Windows 7.


    well my adobe acrobat doesnt work, it told me to get a newer one, which is never fun
  8. keviny47 said:
    well my adobe acrobat doesnt work, it told me to get a newer one, which is never fun

    Seriously? This is your "tons of compatibility issues"?

    You must be running Acrobat version 1.0 for it to be giving you those kinds of issues. It's time to take that horse out back and shoot it.
  9. jedimasterben said:
    Seriously? This is your "tons of compatibility issues"?

    You must be running Acrobat version 1.0 for it to be giving you those kinds of issues. It's time to take that horse out back and shoot it.


    its acrobat 6, which i admit is a tad bit old, but on 32bit it works perfectly. and acrobat costs a few hundred dollars, so i would consider it a "ton"
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory BIOS