Sign in with
Your question

Windows hangs after installing Asus 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2009 2:55:43 AM

I just installed my new 4890, and now Windows dies shortly before the welcome/login screen can load.
The bios, windows boot options, loading screen, etc. all work fine, it's just once it gets past that part that it freezes.
It's not the graphics card that's hanging either; hard drive activity stops at the same time.
Safe mode is the same thing; I see the safe mode intro screen, but it hangs almost within half a second thereafter (I can manage to move the mouse slightly before it freezes).
VGA mode from the startup screen doesn't help either.

Nothing is overclocked either (at least that I'm aware of).

I am running Windows XP x64 SP2.
MB: Asus somethingorother (if it's important, I can dig up the part number, but it is Crossfire-enabled, although I'm not using that feature currently).
RAM: 2gb of corsair matched pair
Power: 550W Antec Neopower
CPU: AMD64 X2 at stock 2.4ghz
HDDs: 2 300gb Seagates in Raid 1
April 7, 2009 3:02:19 AM

What have you tried? Resetting the gpu, check to make sure everythings attached propwely. How old is your psu? It could be underpowering your rig if its older or failing. Beyond that, you may have to try your card in a different rig if possible
April 7, 2009 3:08:26 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
What have you tried? Resetting the gpu, check to make sure everythings attached propwely. How old is your psu? It could be underpowering your rig if its older or failing. Beyond that, you may have to try your card in a different rig if possible

PSU is less than 6 months old. Graphics card has been removed and reinserted (I'm assuming that's what you meant by resetting it), and everything's plugged in correctly.

I get the feeling it's a software thing, but I don't know how to go about correcting it without having to deal with grabbing an bootable XP image (the student edition I'm running from the msdnaa isn't) and doing either a system recovery or windows reinstall, especially if it's some sort of hardware issue.
Related resources
April 7, 2009 3:22:35 AM

Reason I mentioned HW/hands on to begin with, easier to fix. A SW problem could take awhile. I guess reinstalling the drivers again, and try several times for boot
April 7, 2009 3:46:55 AM

Well, running the ATI uninstall utility with my old x1800 in seems to have gotten the welcome screen to show up, but it still hangs.
April 7, 2009 4:19:38 AM

Hmm. Try running on windows drivers only? No card? Or igp if your mobo has 1? Take some of your ram out. Do whatever to reduce power needs. It could be a power issue yet. Try to eliminate that scenario. Check your fans also if it boots. Im thinking it still could be your psu
April 7, 2009 4:35:52 AM

Well heck...I was originally running each of my two HDDs on a separate PSU output plug (maybe it's called a rail?). Putting them both on the same one appears to allow my system to function.
April 7, 2009 4:54:03 AM

Sounds like youre pushing that psu. Be carefull, and if it starts happening again, may be time for a beefier psu
April 7, 2009 4:58:38 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Sounds like youre pushing that psu. Be carefull, and if it starts happening again, may be time for a beefier psu

It does indeed appear that way. Luckily, the few 3D games I've run haven't caused it to die yet.
!