Top 7 Myths About Overclocking

For those less familiar with the term, overclocking is the art of tweaking a computer component such as a processor in order to make it run at a specification higher than the one rated by its manufacturer.

How is this possible you say? Every computer part produced by companies such as Intel and AMD are tested and then certified for a given speed. However, most parts are underrated for increased confidence in the numbers. This is where overclocking comes into play. Overclocking is simply taking advantage of the untapped potential that exists for a given part but that the manufacturer is unwilling to guarantee.

Over the years, we have heard it all. According to some, overclocking could very well be the single most important factor behind global warming. Others have claimed that overclocking a computer will not only shorten the life span of its CPU but also of its owner... Joking aside, we routinely receive all sorts of overclocking questions from our users. Through these, we have identified key misconceptions that people have on the subject of overclocking. We thought it would be interesting to compile a list of the biggest offenders and try to demystify them.

Full article

This is a great article and should be read it if u want OC ur rig or even if u are an overclocker with experience. ;)

Original source: lavalys

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I think the biggest myth is: better temperatures doesn't mean better clocks.
Many people think they can overclock without raising voltage because their processor is frosty.
CPU coolers are just there to prevent your processor for melting into a piece of junk. Temps don't really impact stability.

Well the temps also depends of the ambient temps and case temps that obviously aren't the same in all world.

For example my current 1090T is running @ 4GHz with 22ºC on idle work but that temps can change in the morning, afternoon or even in other room.

@Rofl: True that. However, I disagree with the fact that Temps don't impact stability. Temps are indirectly related to stability. For example: the i7 920 maxes out (as in fails P95,etc) on air with a certain vCore. Put this same CPU under WCing and we can increase the vCore to increase stability (successful P95 run) and/or increase speed.

Anyways, I LOLed/smiled at #4. That's the truth. Too many newbies ask for exact setting on these Forums.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I guess temps do affect stability though indirectly because you can overvolt more safely.

Then there are the guys who are wondering why they can overclock to the moon just because they got a fancy cooler and expect high clocks without passing voltage recommendations.

How safe is phase change cooling btw? I liquid nitrogen + crazy voltages will be heating and cooling the processor so rapidly, the thing dies from thermal stress within a couple hours. Maybe a little gas compressor isn't exactly -200C but that can't be good on the processor lifetime. Then again anyone who is using those forms of cooling wouldn't care punny amount of cash needed to replace it.

^ :lol: As far as Phase Change goes, there are a few folks over at XS who run this kind of set up for daily use. Yes, you loose CPU life, but most of these folks upgrade at least every year, so it's not so much an issue.

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

he is talking about completely vaporizing the CPU not killing it with heat....like make it go BOOM!!! lol