Vista reporting more RAM than actually using?

Helix2000

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me understand what is happening to the RAM in my recent computer build.

I have the following components:
Intel i7 Quad Core (920)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Mainboard
GSkill 2GB x4 Mem modules (F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK)

The Gskill memory is listed on Gigabyte's compatibility chart for RAM memory and the mainboard supports triple channel memory. Since I am installing 4 modules of the exact same version, and they are sequentially serialized modules they should be equal. I bought them in Dual channel kits.

However when I went to install Vist 64 Business, I ran into issues getting past the "windows is loading files" screen until I pulled all but one module for the 1st slot. Voila! I complete Vista 64bit install. But when I reinstall the rest of the mem modules I get a boot failure. So I pull the RAM and spot check it and so far I am not seeing any bad modules, only some strange inability of the board to not recognize the modules.

After doing an update on the BIOS to the FA version I am able to boot with all 4 modules installed. However on the POST screen I only show just over 6GB instead of 8GB. Windows boots up and I open Task Mananger it shows the same thing, 6GB. But when I look at my memory through the Control Panel>System Maintenance>System it shows that I have 8GB installed/loaded.

How can this be? Is this some sort of Triple Channel manner of counting memory? If I pull the odd chip out from the triple channel memory so I just have 3 modules for the triple channel, my amount drops to 4GB. I am going to continue checking each slot to see if any do not load the module but like I said Windows is recognizing four slots with 2GB modules but is not utilizing one of them. Odd, no?

I hope some one might be able to give me some insight into this issue. I have an open message in to Gigabyte fo support and am waiting to hear back. I am just hoping I don't have to RMA this board due to possible defect. Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
Have you tried running MemTest86+, to check whether it 'sees' all of your RAM? This is really most peculiar... ...especially the difference between TaskMan and CP/SM/System! You might take a peek here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58-ud3r-not-displaying-full-memory-32154/

bilbat

Splendid
Have you tried running MemTest86+, to check whether it 'sees' all of your RAM? This is really most peculiar... ...especially the difference between TaskMan and CP/SM/System! You might take a peek here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58-ud3r-not-displaying-full-memory-32154/

Solution

Helix2000

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Thank you bilbat. I tried MemTest86+ after your suggestion and ran some tests. During this process though I did find the problem and it was one of my RAM modules. I guess I missed one in testing. The computer won't even get to POST screen with just that module installed. I was seeing that I had some BIOS settings that wer N/A on Channel A and that is where I found this module. I made some swaps and away the computer booted with 8GB in the POST but when I ran the memory tester, tons of errors. So I pulled this module and I am back to error free with only 6GB loaded. I am going to have to RMA this module to get it replaced as it the source of the issues. When looking at the BIOS settings for my RAM I was seeing that the CAS timing was being read but none of the other settings so I think it was being detected and recognized but would have too many errors and would get bypassed by Windows.

Thank for the link as well, seems to be a issue with this board. Glad I got modules listed as compatible from Gigabyte.

Thanks again!

bilbat

Splendid
Always welcome!

I'm trying to come up to speed on the whole i7/x58 thing, so I've been reading a lot of posts lately - and my poor, old, genetically damaged brain actually had something 'stick' once! :pt1cable: I read a lot of cognitive philosophy, and the 'philosopher's question' is always "why am I here?"; what they completely neglect is the actual application, at my age - standing at the landing of the basement stairs, wondering "why am I here?"!

I gotta learn, as I want an i7 based WHS, and it's only in x32, so I'd like 12G of RAM to work, so I can set up a seven gig RAM-disk for the swap, a pair of small, fast flashdrives in RAID0 on the ICH, and a twelve or sixteen drive RAID6 on an Areca PCIeX8 controller - pretty much stretch the platform! Nothing like greed to provide motivation!!

Bill