Video card wont start

chinoo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ok im having problem with my GPU, here is the story my old mobo asus pw5 hd deluxe with dual core, yesterday I received my new mobo GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P with Quad core Q9400, my PSU 600 watt, yesterday when I swapped the old mobo with the new one and new cpu and I connect the GPU to the pci 16 express the video card is not working no even the fan will spin, I tried the card in the old mobo thinking the gpu went bad but it is working, am I having a psu problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

I notice something i dont know if this is my problem the mobo GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P has 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (one running at x16 model, another one running at x8 model) and my video card is GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI Express x16. video card doesnt say PCI Express 2.0 is this the reason why my video card is not working in my new mobo?

Chinoo

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Using PCI-E 2.0 board with a PCI-E 1.x card isn't a problem. The two standards usually work together regardless of how they're mixed.

Are you certain you've plugged in the PCI-E power connector to the card properly? If so, is there another you can try in it's place? Any chance you can try the new setup with the old power supply and see what happens? If you try all that and the card's fan still won't even spin, then I'd say you've probably got a dead motherboard.

chinoo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Raz thank you for your help, yesterday i did try one of my old video card that have running in another computer, when i tried on the new mobo the fan started spining but i couldnt see any video it was all black so i think mobo is fine, maybe is all black cuz doesnt have enough power?, also another thing is kid of strange is that none of my DVD room wants to open i unplug the cable that goes from the motherboard to the dvd room and they still dont open, could this also mean not enough power supply? i dont have another power supply that are close to what i have right now.

thank you once again for anyone help

here my spec:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775
Quad Core Q9400 2.6 ghz
74gb HDD
250gb HDD
750gb HDD
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W
BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSE GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
2 DVD room
4 fans

is it too much for my PSU?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I don't think that setup is too much. It might be getting close, but doesn't appear to be too much.

Have you tried spreading out the load over all 4 rails by using the +12V4 (and/or +12V3) connector(s) for the video card? I'd definitely avoid using the one marked +12V2 for it.

Have you tried completely removing and reinstalling everything, making sure they're all perfectly secure?

Have you tried booting with 1 stick of RAM, 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, and only the most necessary fan(s)? With fewer components to power, if the system works, then we know what you need is a more powerful PSU. If not, then I'd have to say the motherboard is faulty since the other card didn't work, either.

One last thing to check, did you plug-in the 8-pin power connector to the motherboard in the upper left-hand corner? On that power supply, it may actually be two 4-pin connectors, not a single 8-pin connector. If you didn't plug them in, please do so... LOL

chinoo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ok big thanks to Razberybandi for trying to help me with this headache, well i found the problem it was the PSU, i went to tigerdirect bought a ultra 850 watt PSU and put everything together again as soon as i power up the comp everything started spinning video card, cd room open, so i hook up to the monitor i got VIDEO :bounce: :bounce: am so happy now, so now im installing window xp as am writing this. Thanks once again for taking your time trying to help me Razberybandi.

Chinoo