Sign in with
Your question

How to set up to Boot to recovery partition

Last response: in Windows XP
August 16, 2011 8:59:49 PM

I need to know where and what is the link between the boot process and the hidden partition. Can someone help with that?

I was in the process of imaging to a larger drive. I managed to make it work except for the link between the boot process and the recovery software in the hidden partition. The boot process will start up windows normally if I allow it to do so, but if I select the Recovery software I get the error that it cannot find winload.exe. I know that program is in the hidden partition at \Windows\System32\Boot\winload.exe

Note that if I clone the entire drive and restore the cloned image to the larger drive with the original partition sizes, the error does NOT occur.

Is there something in the boot process that points to a specific physical point on the disk?

August 17, 2011 4:52:35 AM

I should add that I used the Super GRUB2 Disk to look at the boot information on the drives. I noted that:
1. The UUIDs are the same form one drive to another.
2. Detection of an OS show a "Windows Vista bootmgr" which makes sense because "winload.exe" is a part of the Vista boot system.
m
l
Related resources
!