Which temp reading??

kenkenniff

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Im having a hard time understanding my temp readouts, im running a 1055t at (287x14) 4018mhz. Asus m4a89gtd-pro, 4gb dominator 1600mhz at 1525mhz on corsair h70.

Now running p95 and occt numerous programmes are displaying different readings example... cpuz hw monitor shows cpu temp at 55 but core 0-5 temps around 40, occts temp monitor shows max 40-41 on stress but around 17 on idle, as does speed fan and core temp.

Question is does anyone know which temp is the one to watch as 55 seems quite dangerous as amd state 62 max for this cpu, i dont understand the difference between cpu temp and core temp. i have fitted the resisters included with the h70 to slow the fans down to 1600rpm instead of the standard 1900rpm as the noise is pretty loud on full speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's an error on the CPU thermal resistor reading that throws most programs off towards lower readings. Generally speaking those programs will show idle temperatures that are below room temperature, which should be your first clue that the program isn't working with that CPU.

Some programs have been updated however, to compensate for the reading error. Generally speaking, those programs have higher temperature readings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

probably. You can be 100% certain that your "Core Temp" reading is wrong, because it says the CPU was running 15C at idle and your room temperatures was higher than 15C.

So whatever you do, don't listen to jasonp12, he doesn't appear to understand that a CPU cannot run less than room temperature on normal air cooling.

kenkenniff

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your responses, i understand that stress testing usually does what its supposed to but in your opinion is it worth me changing the h70 fans back to 1900rpm which sees the cpu temp go no higher than 50 on load at the cost of a quiet pc?

With the exception of counterstrike im not a pc gamer... more of a console mong, css doesnt seem to stress the cpu too much but im more into video encoding, even encoding blu-rays cpu doesnt go much above idle temp at 4gz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, the thermal calibration is wrong in most monitoring programs when used with his processor, so he needs to find one that's been recalibrated to compensate for the difference.