Sign in with
Your question

Coolermaster V8 fan - help!

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2009 9:53:52 PM

Right, I brought this fan for over two weeks now, I've been looking at everything and trying to find the reason to why does my pc crash after I've installed the fan.

The PC crashes everytime I run a game after a few min.

I have checked the fan screws and I am sure it is very VERY tight. I even put on new and more Thermal Paste on the Cpu, but I'm still having the same problem; crashing when I play games on the pc.

The Fan is not broken, it spins and the speed control works fine.

Please! Someone help me!!

P.S: I removed a heatspread behind the Motherboard in order for me to installed the fan onto it. Would that be the case?

More about : coolermaster fan

June 16, 2009 10:19:11 PM

We need a list of specs or else we can't help you.
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 10:39:38 PM

Yes Specs.

Cpu ?
Motherboard.?

Related resources
June 17, 2009 5:31:15 AM

you removed a heatsink? thats not good.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 7:26:35 AM

Exactly which heat spreader behind the motherboard did you remove? If a motherboard came from the factory with a heatsink, they probably put it here because the thing needs it to operate properly.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2009 9:48:43 AM

Could be a cooler, on the back of the board for the VRM`s.
If that is the case and you took it off to fit your V8.

Voltage Regulators run very hot indeed. They need to have some sort of heatsink on them.
Because when they become to hot they become unstable.
The end result is a crash as the voltage to the cpu becomes too low, or can become too high.

Coolermaster put two fixing kits with the cooler for just this type of situation.
Depending on your board Type.
One with a retention plate for the back of the motherboard, and another kit incase you had said
Vrm cooler on the back.

Doh !

June 17, 2009 10:15:30 AM

Lord_Danny said:

P.S: I removed a heatspread behind the Motherboard in order for me to installed the fan onto it. Would that be the case?

OOoopps...

Perhaps that heatspreader actually did something? I just can't imagine a MFG spending more money than was needed.
June 17, 2009 3:25:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't know I have to put my spec's. Here it is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13Ghz
Graphics card: GeForce 8800GTS
RAM: OCZ 2GB

So I'm pretty much screwed coz I threw the Motherboard Heatspread away lol Then again, I did try to use the other fitting kit to install the v8 on the motherboard, but the heatspread is still in the way and I really can't get it on, thats why I took it off :( 
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 2:17:23 PM

Right i have done some homework for you Lord_Danny.
And hope it helps you my friend.

The back plate you talk about was just a plate to keep the Cpu Socket on the back side of the board to cool it.
All the Vrms are on the top side.

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=content&tas...

So your not screwed.
Phew.

Maybe you should take the cooler off clean it and re- apply some more Thermal paste.
I had one other thought as to the cause of the crashing you talked about.
And that is to check the Vdimm voltage of your ram sticks. The voltage may be set to low in the Bios for them.

As you get memory sticks that can work at 1.8v ,1.9v or 2.1 volts.
I would have a check see if the bios has set the right voltage if not, set them to the right voltage yourself.

Also do a heat test when your cpu is at idle then under load ie playing a game.

Then post them.

As for the plate dont worry about it.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 2:24:40 PM

One more thing to look at could be your PSU also.
I know the Min for an 8800 is a 400 to 450 watt power supply.
And the amp rating on the +12v line must be 26a.

Or it will fall over when playing games.
I know this because it happend to me when i bought a 9800 GT
So check your +12v amp rating on the power supply.

I hope all this helps you.
June 18, 2009 4:23:12 PM

Thanks for all the reply guys.

Shaun O, I have done what you've told me to do. But it is still no use. Instead, I've even tried using my old fan, but the problem still exist. I have an OCZ 600watt PSU, which i think it's more than enough for my hardwares to run on. But like I said, problem still remains :( 
!