Sign in with
Your question

Asus P6T SE - Computer Turns off after ~1min in BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2009 4:15:02 AM

Hi,

I just put together my new i7 machine and I am having trouble keeping the power on!

Computer powers on and everything seems fine. I hit F1 and enter into the BIOS setup, and in anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the computer just shuts itself off.

I have checked all power connections and memory/video card connnections and everything is secure. I've seen similar problems in the forums (see: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260348-30-asus-deluxe... ), but not the same one.

All of my fans are running, and nothing is hot or blowing smoke. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Rob

Specs:

ASUS P6T SE Motherboard
Core i7 920
6gb DDR3 OCZ Ram
Coolermaster 700w Silent Pro PSU
ATI Sapphire 3870

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 83 V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 3:09:57 PM

Quote:
What cpu temps are you seeing while in the bios?

+1

It sounds like your CPU is overheating and shutting down the computer to avoid damage.
m
l
August 29, 2009 1:00:44 AM

That's exactly what was happening. Of course, it took 3 levels of tech support to get me there :) 

Also, in the process I learned that the i7 has two revisions (C0 and D0), and that my newer revision (D0) requires a new version of the BIOS.

Thanks for your replies,
Rob
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2010 1:41:56 AM

Hi,

I also have a problem with the same motherboard which is the asus p6t-se with an intel i7-920 cpu and I still don't know why it keeps resetting itself even after updting the BIOS. I have also checked the the connections and tried changing the ram, HDD and VGA card. I had it for about 6 months.

cheers

William
m
l
April 9, 2010 1:49:52 AM

sorry ppls,

I also forgot to say that my PC is also unable to boot into windows vista too and when it displays the windows error recovery menu, the pc restarts itself even after selecting the launch windows startup repair and start windows normally option.

cheers

William
m
l
!