Split the dish signal?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 29, 2004 1:55:53 PM

A friend has Driectv. He's a little technically challenged so I installed
a direct tivo for him. But he's only got a cable from the dish and the
directivo is a 2 tuner unit that requires 2 inputs to record one channel
and watch another. Assuming he only has a single LNB dish, I assumed I
could split this with a multiswitch from what little I've read about this.
But someone else said it has to be a dual LNB dish to do this. So what's
right? This is my first dish experience. TIA.

More about : split dish signal

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 6:56:56 PM

Wes Newell wrote:

> A friend has Driectv. He's a little technically challenged so I installed
> a direct tivo for him. But he's only got a cable from the dish and the
> directivo is a 2 tuner unit that requires 2 inputs to record one channel
> and watch another. Assuming he only has a single LNB dish, I assumed I
> could split this with a multiswitch from what little I've read about this.
> But someone else said it has to be a dual LNB dish to do this. So what's
> right? This is my first dish experience. TIA.

The latter. MUST be a dual or twin LNB (two or more outputs) at
least.
October 29, 2004 7:52:59 PM

I don't know if your friend is financially challenged but you can buy a new
dish for 60 dollars at best buy. It is has a triple lnb.
"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.29.09.52.16.750151@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>A friend has Driectv. He's a little technically challenged so I installed
> a direct tivo for him. But he's only got a cable from the dish and the
> directivo is a 2 tuner unit that requires 2 inputs to record one channel
> and watch another. Assuming he only has a single LNB dish, I assumed I
> could split this with a multiswitch from what little I've read about this.
> But someone else said it has to be a dual LNB dish to do this. So what's
> right? This is my first dish experience. TIA.

November 7, 2004 4:17:24 AM

Unless your friend bought some obsolete equipment the LNB should have two
connections. I haven't seen single connection LNB's in over 8 years from any
vender. You can't split a single coax due to polarity input from the
receiver 13vdc and 18vdc. A dual LNB dish only means that the dish has two
LNBs. One for the 101 bird and the other for the 119 bird. A triple LNB adds
the one for the 110 bird. If your friends LNB only has one coax connection
tell him spring for a new LNB. You can pick an RCA branded LNB at Walmart
for $35.

!