Resolve download speed limit in network

aliaomt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I want to download in a single PC but there is a problem in our network, "download speed limit".
I want to know that is there a way to resolve this limitation.
Does solutions like using multiple ip (all ip in our network are static) for boosting download speed can work? how?

Zenthar

Distinguished
In any network the speed is limited by the slowest segment. So as GhislainG said, we need much more details to even have a clue of what is causing the "problem".

aliaomt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
as far as i know it`s from administrator that set a download limit for each ip in local network, so that our max DL speed is 50 kbps even all other PCs in local network are offline.

Zenthar

Distinguished
If you want to go around an admin-set limit, first you have to realize it might get you in trouble. You also need to know exactly how it's setup. If the limit is set on a per-ip or per-MAC method, then using two network cards might and a server-class OS that supports load-balancing might partially do what you want to do. However, the load balancing will only work for multiple downloads, not when downloading a single file (ex: 2 files @ 500Kbps, but 1 file @ 500 Kbps also).

If you have access to only 1 network port and the limit is set on a per-port method, then there is nothing you can do.

If you can justify why you have a requirement for a higher download limit, then you should be able to get it authorized by your manager.

aliaomt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

so there is no way to allocate two or more IP in one network card?

Zenthar

Distinguished
It is technically possible, but I'm not sure it would be possible/useful in your situation. I think all outbound traffic is always made using the "primary" IP, the other addresses are simply aliases so OTHER can connect to you. Moreover, assigning multiple IPs to a single card cannot be done when using DHCP (dynamic IP assignment).

aliaomt

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

ok. thanx. but our IP addressing is Static?

Zenthar

Distinguished
So they just give you an IP address and you have to configure it in windows? If so, if you go in the advanced IP configuration window, you can add multiple IP addresses. However, as I already said, it might change nothing as all "download request" might be sent from the primary IP and therefore all received to the same IP.

If you still want to try, here is how (for Win2K, but it's very similar for XP and Vista).