Newegg bundling incompatible CPU and motherboard??

swellwrench

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I just finished putting together a computer with parts purchased from Newegg. The motherboard is a BioStar TA760G M2+, and the CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 940. Upon booting up, however, I get a message which says "The max power of CPU is over 95W. Preparing to shut down." I checked the documentation, and it does indeed seem that the Phenom II X4 940 is a 125W CPU, and the processor claims to support Athlons up to 125W, but Phenoms only up to 95W.

The bizarre part of this is that Newegg sold these components together in a bundle package! It seems very unlikely that they'd bundle incompatible hardware. This is my first homebuilt system, so it's certainly possible that I'm just missing something here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Should I be contacting Newegg?

(I am pretty sure the power supply isn't the problem, as it's 750W.)

pcardout

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
"The max power of CPU is over 95W. Preparing to shut down". I also got this message. My MoBo is a Biostar MCP6P-M2 with integrated NVidia graphics plus a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor Socket AM2 processor.

The message has to be from the MoBo -- because it is what is running the BIOS that gave you the message. It really doesn't
know what power supply you have in there. I also bought these incompatible parts from Newegg -- which claimed the motherboard
supported the processor. If it had mentioned that there was a power limitation -- I'd have chosen differently.

I like AMD -- because I like to support competition in processors -- and to save a buck. I like Biostar because I prefer Nvidia graphics
as their Linux support is good. I have built very similar machines before ... but I had been using lower power processors. I run
Linux exclusively and have been having a very nice time with relatively inexpensive hardware.

I am disappointed. This was a gift for my teenager and now I have to hassle with returns and rebuild the system.

I also have the mcp6p-m2 and it doesn't support 125w cpus. Newegg should do you right and not charge you for an exchange. I bought my combo at fry's for $59.99 with sempron 1250LE, and it works great. Faster than my celeron 430.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Newegg does not guarantee the compatibility of items sold in a combo. As stated on the "Combo Deals" page:

"Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. Please contact the manufacturer(s) directly if you have issues or concerns regarding compatibility."

Don't get click happy when looking at combos. Always click on each item individually and check the compatibility yourself.

Don't get me wrong on this. It is pretty pointless to create a combo of incompatible items, but I've been in the business before. There's always members of sales/marketing that lack technical knowledge of what they are selling. Thus, the disclaimer.