Sign in with
Your question

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD FSB Question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2009 6:49:20 AM

I am going to get a ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard with an FBS of 2600 MHz.

My CPU will be a AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processer with Hyper Transports of 4000MHz.

I might be mistaken, but should the CPU speed be higher than the Motherboards? I don't want to run into any problems, so I am checking if this is okay or not. Thanks
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 7:24:50 AM

Well, this is a confusing issue but put simply you aren't going to have a problem.

AMD systems don't have a Front side bus. You are probably referring to the hypertransport speed. So there is a system bus that runs @ 200Mhz (reference clock) that all the other speeds you see listed for your pc are derived from with various multipliers. If its helpful to think of that as your FSB, then ok.

There are some articles here on Toms, under the overclocking section that go into detail about what these different clocks are and what they mean, and how they can be safely adjusted.

Which is not to say they need to be adjusted. You can just drop your new CPU in your new mobo and it will do fine. Barring any need for an updated bios, it shouldn't need it though as it is made for AM3.
I believe you can order with confidence.
have fun with that.
m
l
August 28, 2009 8:15:03 AM

Thank you have saved me a lot of time, and I appreciate your help.
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 6:48:21 PM

sardarbalu said:
Thank you have saved me a lot of time, and I appreciate your help.

NP. be sure to check back at this forum if you experience any obstacles with the build.
gl
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:24:17 PM

I agree that there shouldn't be a problem. Still, the question remains:

Are the motherboards not caught up with the processors? The highest HyperTransport clock speed I see on any AMD-processor-compatible motherboard is 2600MHz. AMD's new processors list their HyperTransport speed as 4000MHz. What's up?
m
l
!