Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Increase clock vs decrease timing...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 31, 2010 4:02:04 PM

hello everyone.....

i just upgrade my system. but because not enough budget, i only buy 2GB RAM-corsair gaming 1333.....
my window rating is lowest for the ram...
so, i decided to oc the ram...

i am confused which one will give better result, increase the clock or decrease the timing latency...
is there any way to check my RAM temperature?? im afraid i OC it too much......

help me please....if there is any article related to this, please give me the linl.....

thanks in advance....
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 4:09:26 AM

dont' worry for overvolt 2GB RAM-corsair gaming 1333 (dual ) max 1.7 volt it safe check default CPU-Z 10700 (667 / single ) it mean , but you want OC RAM must looking FSB higest RAM don't over FSB from 725. Go down ratio from 3:10 to 3:8 or 1:2
I use bad memory (low bad value RAM not OC) can run CPU 4GHz stabil ref:

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/BOSDOT/OC/try...

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/BOSDOT/OC/_DS...

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/BOSDOT/OC/_DS...
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 4:18:47 AM

exceeda88 said:
hello everyone.....

i just upgrade my system. but because not enough budget, i only buy 2GB RAM-corsair gaming 1333.....
my window rating is lowest for the ram...
so, i decided to oc the ram...

i am confused which one will give better result, increase the clock or decrease the timing latency...
is there any way to check my RAM temperature?? im afraid i OC it too much......

help me please....if there is any article related to this, please give me the linl.....

thanks in advance....
There is an article in Tom's Hardware that covers your entire question, but I'll make this quick: When running benchmarks based on real-world programs, timing is the most important.

Now, what most people don't know is that because timings are rated in cycles, DDR3-1600 CAS 8 has the same initiation time as DDR2-800 CAS 4. The math is pretty simple, DDR2-800 cycles at half the rate so each cycle is twice as long (time).

So, you can try either higher speed at stock timings, or lower timings at stock speed. Whatever you like. The true answer to increased memory performance is the reduce the latency time rather than focusing on latency cycles.
Related resources
November 1, 2010 4:31:32 AM

@henydiah: i dont really understand actually what u r saying, coz this is my first time trying to oc my memory...sorry...
@crashman: ive been looking for the article, but cannot find it...can u give me the link??
higher speed mean increase the DRAM freq,is that right?? doest that mean it will increase the ratio said by henydiah??
the stated on product 9-9-9-24 is the latency cycles or time??
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 4:40:16 AM

exceeda88 said:
@henydiah: i dont really understand actually what u r saying, coz this is my first time trying to oc my memory...sorry...
@crashman: ive been looking for the article, but cannot find it...can u give me the link??
higher speed mean increase the DRAM freq,is that right?? doest that mean it will increase the ratio said by henydiah??
the stated on product 9-9-9-24 is the latency cycles or time??
Increasing the speed means increasing the ratio. 9-9-9-24 is cycles, to figure out the cycles you invert the frequency (1/x) To figure out the latency time you multiply cycle time by number of cycles.

It's easier just to say that 800 CAS 4 has the same latency time as 1000 CAS 5, 1200 CAS 6, 1400 CAS 7, and 1600 CAS 8.

When you finally find that article, it will show that going over 1333 isn't important so long as you keep latency low.
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 4:52:57 AM

yeah you true mr crashman, but exceeda88 firt time OC, he affraid RAM broke/canot quaranted, OC is Trial & Error, just need Link Learn How OC RAM DDR3 http:// www.hardwaresecrets.com › Memory
November 1, 2010 5:39:09 AM

ok, evertone....im still searching for the article.....
basically this is what i understand so far...

to increase the speed is to increase the ratio, and to do that i need to increase the freq,mby from 1333(default now) to 1600, right??
but for better performance, it is better to lower the timing cycle, which can be simply altered on bios setup. mby from 9-9-9-24 --> 8-8-8-20 or lower, right??
and, voltage for my RAM can reach until 1.7v...and i need to increace the voltage if the system is not stable...and increasing the voltage will increase the temperature.......

that is what i understand for now. is there any mistake??
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 7:02:37 AM

yes all right, quickly understand!
but still too high from FSB deft 1333. Remember RAM 1333 is Dual RAM same value (2pcs), if your ram 1333 (1pcs) it mean 10700 max fsb 667, get max OC, better performance go down ratio in BIOS set ram to 1066 get timming 7-7-7-20 , you can get max FSB RAM & timming

November 1, 2010 8:09:47 AM

ok, ill increase the freq, decreace the timing, increase te voltage and test it out...then i will post here again...

thank you....
November 1, 2010 8:21:03 AM

emm, one question.., r u sure it will not damage my RAM?? i dont see any way to check its temperature??

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 12:49:54 PM
Share

exceeda88 said:
emm, one question.., r u sure it will not damage my RAM?? i dont see any way to check its temperature??

1333 CAS 8 gives about the same performance as 1500 CAS 9, so 1600 CAS 9 is still a little quicker.

I've never seen 1.50V RAM get hurt from 1.65V, but some of it overclocks better at 1.60V, likely due to heat. There is no way to check temperature, but like I said 1.65V should be safe even if it is a little warmer.
November 1, 2010 1:08:26 PM

Crashman said:
1333 CAS 8 gives about the same performance as 1500 CAS 9, so 1600 CAS 9 is still a little quicker.

I've never seen 1.50V RAM get hurt from 1.65V, but some of it overclocks better at 1.60V, likely due to heat. There is no way to check temperature, but like I said 1.65V should be safe even if it is a little warmer.


ok, tq....that give me some confident...ill do it and post it back here...
November 3, 2010 8:33:58 PM

im back....
the result of oc'ing my memory:

when i change the freq to 1600, pc wont boot. when i reset, bios will tell that overclocking fail, need to setup or load default...same thing happen even i increase voltage to 1.7v. so, freq is default, 1333hz.

when i decreace cycle to 8-8-8-24, same thing happen like above...
same thing happen with timing:
8-9-9-24
9-8-9-24
it only stable for 9-9-8-18, which is my current timing, with 1.7v DRAM volt

so, anything to improve guys??
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 9:00:02 PM

exceeda88 said:
im back....
the result of oc'ing my memory:

when i change the freq to 1600, pc wont boot. when i reset, bios will tell that overclocking fail, need to setup or load default...same thing happen even i increase voltage to 1.7v. so, freq is default, 1333hz.

when i decreace cycle to 8-8-8-24, same thing happen like above...
same thing happen with timing:
8-9-9-24
9-8-9-24
it only stable for 9-9-8-18, which is my current timing, with 1.7v DRAM volt

so, anything to improve guys??


I'd try decreasing your RAM voltage a little.
November 3, 2010 9:09:04 PM

ok, i decrease the voltage..i think 1.6 is enough...
but i still cannot increase freq, even for 1.7v...
still, is decreasing only tRP from 9 to 8, and tRAS from 24 to 18 give any major effect??
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 9:26:08 PM

exceeda88 said:
ok, i decrease the voltage..i think 1.6 is enough...
but i still cannot increase freq, even for 1.7v...
still, is decreasing only tRP from 9 to 8, and tRAS from 24 to 18 give any major effect??
You won't notice it, but benchmarks will show it's there...
November 3, 2010 9:30:53 PM

what kind of benchmark will show difference for RAM??
i already run S.T.A.L.K.E.R:call of pripyat, resident evil 5, lost planet 2 and 3Dmark06...
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 9:39:42 PM

exceeda88 said:
what kind of benchmark will show difference for RAM??
i already run S.T.A.L.K.E.R:call of pripyat, resident evil 5, lost planet 2 and 3Dmark06...
3DMark WOULD show the difference of maybe 50 marks, except the the difference between runs can be as much as 200 marks.
November 9, 2010 11:31:32 PM

Best answer selected by exceeda88.
February 1, 2012 1:43:29 AM

sory to necro an old article like this. but ive been reading these posts and one question I have is.." say you purchased 2400 RAM modules.... and they run at 11-11-11-30. Would I be able to lower clock to 1866 to allow for tighter timings? eg. 6-6-6-18 or somthing on that line?
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 2:06:58 AM

igotperks said:
sory to necro an old article like this. but ive been reading these posts and one question I have is.." say you purchased 2400 RAM modules.... and they run at 11-11-11-30. Would I be able to lower clock to 1866 to allow for tighter timings? eg. 6-6-6-18 or somthing on that line?
Probably not that low, you should check out some of the memory reviews.
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 12:11:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!