Can't seem to stabilize my OC

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I believe this is an OC issue, although I can't be certain. Ever since I pushed my CPU up to 4GHz, the computer will randomly sieze up while the CPU is under heavy load, causing the speakers to screech, and requiring me to manually reset my computer. I've tried increasing the voltages, lowering the OC, and a few other tricks like setting the multiplier to an odd number. This didn't begin occurring until I pushed the CPU up to 4GHz, but after lowering the OC I've observed it happening at 3.65GHz, although only once. I've heard Prime95 should report errors, but it seizes up like every other program before reporting anything.

Might anybody have any advice, or have found themselves in this situation before? It's a little frustrating that I can't keep a stable overclock, however much it may be.

Thanks

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X58A-UD3R
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
If Prime 95 siezes up, the computer is very unstable. Try running Memtest 86+, and see if you get any errors. It will test your ram and see if it is stable. If it is stable, you can at least eliminate one possibility. Here is the link. you burn the iso or make a bootable usb drive, and boot to it. Let it make a few runs, or even better let it run overnight.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks, I'll be sure to try those out.

In the meantime, I've noticed CPU-Z and ET6 not reporting my Vcore as it's set in the BIOS. They're bothing reporting it to fe about ~.8 volts lower than what it's set to. Currently, it's set to ~1.4825 in the BIOS and both CPU-Z and ET6 are reporting it as ~1.406. I'm thinking that, if this the actual Vcore value, then I might be suffering from undervolting. Has anybody noticed an issue like this, before?

I've also noticed that the point when the computer siezes seems to be random. In Prim95 it may not sieze up at all, while playing SC2 usually sees a pretty quick sieze. I know this is pure cooincidence, but it feels like it only siezes up when I'm winning... Anyways, it typically takes a while to sieze up in WoW.

I'll get back to you guys once I've attempted the new BIOS values and the memory test, thanks!

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
You mean 1.4825 and 1.406 volts right? It's not a problem if the readings are different, just go by the CPUZ reading. If you have something called VDROP enabled in your bios it will lower the voltage automatically under load, that might be what is going on. 1.48 is a pretty high Vcore, what are you using for cooling and did you monitor your temps when you had it @ 4ghz? If not you may have overheated the chip.

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Right, it's reporting it as 1.406, I corrected the post.

I've got a Megahalems Rev. B in a push/pull configuration with an additional six fans across the case. Heating isn't really a problem for me, because, at load, the CPU currently sits around 70C.

I'm confused because I'm setting it to 1.4825, but CPU-Z is reporting it as much lower. Since the difference between a stable OC may be a small difference in Vcore, it's a little concerning that what I'm setting it as and what it actually is may be different.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
That's a common occurrence with motherboards and even though it is annoying it's not really a problem. From what I've always heard the Voltage displayed in CPUZ is the actual voltage and you should adjust your bios' voltage accordingly. If you want a second opinion download speedfan and use it to check the voltage. You can also check the voltage on the board with a multimeter but that's beyond my area of expertise.

scott-pa

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I have found that the BIOS setting is different then the Vcore chip voltage (what is actually reported in CPU-Z). Also depending on the motherboard settings for VDroop the Vcore voltage can either go up or down when the CPU is under load, and the idle voltage will not match the BIOS setting either.

For example I have an MSI P55-GD85 motherboard with an i7-870 CPU. I am currently testing it under a CPU speed of 4.015Ghz and have been running several hours so far under Prime95.

I did a test with a multimeter and compared it against the BIOS setting.

I did not run up as high as you but here are some of my values -

BIOS Idle Vcore Load Vcore
1.412 1.384 1.328
1.443 1.422 1.345

Notice how the voltage is much lower then the BIOS setting and when the CPU is loaded the voltage drops more. The Intel spec is max Vcore of 1.4V so I was trying to keep it under 1.4V at all times (Idle and Load).

I have a BIOS setting called 'Low VDroop' and I found that it actually increases the voltages under load. Voltages provided to the chip are above the BIOS settings.

BIOS Idle Vcore Load Vcore
1.312 1.317 1.322
1.343 1.348 1.352
1.362 1.370 1.397

The Load Vcore voltages match the output from CPU-Z, so you can use that as an guide.

I think the important factors is to supply enough Vcore voltage under load and keep within the Intel limits.

Hope that helps!

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

OMG, dude you are using WAY more vcore than you need. Most 930's will hit 4.0 Ghz between 1.24-1.3v

1.406 vcore (cpu-z) and your temps are around 70c load, either your ambient is 10c or your not using a very good temp program. Try realtemp or coretemp.