Sign in with
Your question

PC switches on but no display

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2009 5:01:42 AM

I'm building my new PC and I've got a major dilemma and a minor one.
The PC is coming on but nothing is being displayed on the screen. PSU fan is spinning and so are internal case fans. CPU fan spins but it stops after few seconds (my minor dilemma).
The graphics card is a PCI-E one, does it need any extra power?
Also the CPU fan is it meant to remain off until CPU gets to certain temperature?

My configuration is:

CoolmerMaster CM-690
Corsair 400W PSU
Gigabyte EP45T-UP3P mobo
2GB Ram
320GB harddisk
nVidia 8400GS PCI-E graphics card

I'm using the old styled monitor display connection.

More about : switches display

March 15, 2009 2:22:55 PM

blueagle78 said:
I'm building my new PC and I've got a major dilemma and a minor one.
The PC is coming on but nothing is being displayed on the screen. PSU fan is spinning and so are internal case fans. CPU fan spins but it stops after few seconds (my minor dilemma).
The graphics card is a PCI-E one, does it need any extra power?
Also the CPU fan is it meant to remain off until CPU gets to certain temperature?

My configuration is:

CoolmerMaster CM-690
Corsair 400W PSU
Gigabyte EP45T-UP3P mobo
2GB Ram
320GB harddisk
nVidia 8400GS PCI-E graphics card

I'm using the old styled monitor display connection.

I've got the display now. But my only biggest worry right now is the CPU fan. It turns on when I switch on the PC but after few seconds it goes off.
I even disabled the auto CPU fan feature in BIOS but it still won't turn on. I switched the PC off when CPU temperature reached 60 degree celcius, didn't want to burn it out.
Could it be faulty CPU fan? Its plugged in the CPU fan connector on the motherboard and its got 4 connectors.
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2009 6:49:13 AM

I doubt it's the fan, unless it's making a lot of noise while on.

It sounds more like the fan controller on the motherboard is faulty. Possibly the BIOS is having issues... I would say flash the BIOS and if that doesn't work RMA the board.
Related resources
March 16, 2009 7:20:55 AM

I've got the fan working with the SYS_Fan2 controller, which had exactly the same connector as CPU_FAN controller on the mobo. Fan is always on now and I monitored the temperature in BIOS and its looking good.
So honestly I don't think I'll bother with sending the mobo back now. I'll go about the route of flashing the BIOS and updating them. I bought it online and you know how painful it is to RMA online bough stuffs.
My only remaining saga with this new build is the graphics card I got. Its a PCI-E nVidia 8400GS 512MB card with the heatsink and it gets really hot. Last night I switched the PC off when it reached 95 degree celcius, that's with no covers on the PC yet and both system fans running. Would I be better off buying a graphics card the one that's got its own fan on it?
March 16, 2009 9:34:45 AM

The online store I got my stuffs from don't do the card you've mentioned. What you think of the following 3 and which one would you pick? They're all within my budget. I want to return the one I've and would like a replacement from the same online store.

XFX Radeon HD4650 512MB PCI-E 2.0
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

XFX GeForce 9500GT 512MB PCI-E 2.0

Sapphire HD4550 512MB PCI-E 2.0 (x16) (DDR3)

I've got plenty of space in my Coolermaster 690 case and it won't have any other card in it for now so space isn't an issue at all.
Air flow seems to be pretty good too and at no stage so far I've seen the internal case temp going over 50.
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2009 4:18:51 PM

They all ship with DVI to VGA adapters. I have a drawer full :p 

The XFX 4650 would be your best choice, if that is your budget limit.
You can get it for less here, and with free shipping:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155492

March 16, 2009 8:21:52 PM

Proximon, once again many thanks for replying. I think I'm going to get an ATi Graphics Card this time. I've always had nVidia so it'll be a nice change.
The one you've suggested definitely fits my bill.
I've read great reviews about 4670, is it worth spending a bit extra and getting this one?
Also does DDR3 RAM makes a lot of difference than DDR2 on most of the card within my budget?
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2009 12:00:11 AM

If you are gaming, the extra speed of the 4670 or even a 4830 would be good buys. If not, you won't need them.

Don't worry about RAM type. All video cards get benchmarked and that is all you need to worry about.
March 17, 2009 1:24:15 PM

I've got side fan running inside the case now and the current temperature of GPU is 54 degree celcius and its been around that for almost an hour. Is that still too hot? At no stage so far the temp has gone over 55 degree celcius.
It seems returning the graphics card back to Aria would be a too pain process and I'll hardly get anything back after postage charges so I thought I'll might as well give it a go.
!