Motherboard standoffs

aelyan

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Hi...

Ok question for all of you. I assembled my computer and in my infinite wisdom I forgot to take out the preinstalled standoffs. When I turned the computer on the motherboard powered on and lights and fans but nothing else. So clearly there is a short circuit on the motherboard.

My question is, did I destroy my motherboard or is it still usable? My guess is that it is still usable since the power is just being diverted rather than any transistor being overloaded. But as I said, that is my guess. I would appreciate some other people's opinions on this

thanks in advance.

The motherboard should be OK, but you'll just have to try it and see. Are there extra standoffs installed that don't line up with a hole in the motherboard? If you still have problems after you make sure the only standoffs installed line up with a hole in the motherboard you should go through each step in this checklist to narrow down the cause of the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

sturm

Splendid
When you take the motherboard out to remove the standoffs, try powering it up outside the case. This will tell you if the board is bad or just a grounding problem. I usually set the board on the anti-static bag it came in.

aelyan

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
@shortstuff

Yeah it was standoffs not aligned with the holes. There is like one in the center of the board... But its good to hear that the board should be fine. I am liking the fact that most parts now a days have counter measures to moderately bad *** happening(i mean still cant prevent full on power surge via static but meh).

aelyan

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
...lame. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the pre-installed standoffs? I am trying to take them off but they are in really tight. They also seem too small for normal stuff like a monkey wrench and it an inverted screw so I dont think a screw driver will fit.