Need help swapping HD Controller board for Western Digital

Whiz1982

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
So, I found the model of controller I need. However, the site linked below says "this model hard drive PCB board is not swappable, if you know how to do firmware transfer, you can buy this item."

http://www.hdd-parts.com/20098011.html

What is required to exchange the current (bad) controller for the new controller and get my files back?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hello,

What model HDD do you have that died, and is it recent enough to buy an exact HDD?

The instructions are saying it requires a firmware upgrading to function. Won't work out of the box
There is also an option to send in your PCB, HDD Model #, and for $20 more they will do the firmware upgrade.

WD 2060- 001265 001266 701265 701266 hard drive Controller Card PCB Circuit Board firmware transfer $69

The best option if you are absolutely sure your PCB board is bad, not the rotational motor, or the disk platters or head mechanism, is to purchase the exact same HDD, model & rev, and swap the PCB.

Can you describe the failure symptom?

If you upload a detailed photo, one of us may be able to help you repair your board, or at least confirm that the problem isn't elsewhere.

The rule of thumb is, if your drive spins up, then the PCB is most likely OK.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
I see there are several WD2000BB-00GUCO HDD's for sale, ranging from $109 - $259. Certainly more expensive than just the PCB you found. Check the REV # on your PCB, and might check with "TheHardDriveExperts" to see if their's matches exactly.

That is really a value judgement since the PATA HDD is about 4 years old.

Don't see it listed on WDD web site, but you might call and ask if it is still in warranty, since some of their HDD warranties are 5 years.
Their support tele # is: 800 275-4932. It's at least a phone call, the dime's on them.

Whiz1982

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
When I turn the computer on it displays something like "hard drive not found. Please insert boot disk". (I don't remember the exact message. I am at work and the PC is at home)

I installed a different hard drive and that worked fine. I installed the "bad" hard drive into another PC and got the same message. I tried making the "bad" hard drive a slave to another hard drive and see if I could some-how get it back up and running. No go.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't spin up. I am obviously not 100% sure the PCB is bad, but after Google-ing for possible solutions, replacing the PCB is the only option that seems worthwhile, since sending the drive out to a data recovery service could be expensive.

TRENDING THREADS