Sign in with
Your question

ATI 4830 overclocking, and temperatures.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2009 4:15:03 PM

Hey, I finally decided I wanted to overclock my ati radeon 4830 by powercolor.

This is my setup.

Processor: amd athlon 64 x2 7750 kuma 2.8 ghz black edition

MotherBoard: gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

Memory: A-data 4gb ddr2 800 mhz

VideoCard: ati radeon hd 4830 power color

Case: xion solaris xon-403

PowerSupply: coolermaster 500 watt

my temperatures are reading 40-41C idle using hardware monitor and ati overdrive (they both read identical temps)
and I ran 3dmark06 and it seemed like the temps went to about 52C (that's very good, I think)
I want to know how far i can OC my video card safely, temperatures seem very good from what i've read.

what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2009 4:41:45 PM

Overclocking is something of a lottery, some do well while others may only yield a tiny improvement.
Before you start, download Furmark and run its stability test to give you a baseline of speed and temperatures. Be warned, this is a savage test, so keep a close eye on your temperatures while it`s running.
The usual rules of overclocking then apply; Increase the core by 10MHz, test, repeat until it fails then back off (I back off 15MHz) retest and back off a little more if needed. Then repeat with the memory. You should run the test for at least 10 minuets after the temperatures have levalled out.
80C is about as hot as I like to go even under Furmark.
April 7, 2009 4:49:05 PM

Ok, I overclocked from stock 575 mhz core, to 650 mhz, and from memory 900 to 940

I ran the ati overdrive test custom clocks button and it says it passed without problems, I also ran 3dmark06 and my video card went up to 56C, looking pretty good.

and my 3dmark06 went up almost 1k points, and i saw a good fps improvement of 3-10

i will download furmark and we'll see.
Related resources
April 7, 2009 5:02:56 PM

Ok, I ran furmark and it steadied out at 80C, i let it run half way through and minimized it (not realising that would stop the program) and when i brought it back up temps went down to 60C because I had minimized, the video card stayed at 80C for atleast 10 minutes and was not going up or down (81c was as hot as it got but only for a split second)

Is this good? sorry I didn't let it finish, accidentally minimized it.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2009 5:10:05 PM

It`s a hard test, like I said mate, and 80C is on the border of where I, personally, start to get worried although the card should handle higher temperatures.
Under real gaming you`d expect to see lower temperatures.
Just follow the guide and keep pushing, but do not increase the core and memory at the same time, just the core until it fails the test (or gets too hot for comfort) then back off 15MHZ and start on the memory.
April 7, 2009 6:55:13 PM

Ok, I have it set to 690 mhz core clock, and 970 mhz memory clock, no problems at all so far. played crysis and performance is better, 3dmark06 performance is better, no glitches or problems.

furmark went up to 83c max though, but I was playing crysis for 15 minutes and video card only went to 56C so that seems good.

I am going to try to push it further.

any other suggestions?
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2009 7:06:30 PM

Pray?;)
Like I said, Furmark is a very tough test, you`ll never push the hardware that hard playing games.
If you run into a limit with CCC try Rivatuner, it supports ATI overclocking as well but I think you`re getting close to the limits by now.
And be advised, overclocking will shorten the life of the card, again, this is a lottery and while some go on for ages heavily overclocked others do not.
April 7, 2009 7:36:30 PM

Ok, I geuss I hadn't knoticed it before but with a core clock of 700 and a memory clock of 960 mhz on the benchmark test on furmark I can see little blue dots that pop up some times, only for a fraction of a second.

should I back off or is it ok because this is a very hard test? crysis seems to run fine.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2009 11:48:52 AM

I`d knock both back 10MHz.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2009 9:59:06 PM

I use ATItool's artifact scan to test my overclocks. It does an amazing job at stressing it. So far my 4830 is at 750 core, 1120 RAM.

Edit:

I'm also using a Zalman VF900 for cooling, so my idle temp is around 38-40C, and loads around 64.
April 14, 2009 11:48:41 PM

Thanks guys for all the info guys, bought a second 4830 and plan to overclock it a good amount, thinking about buying aftermarket hsf too.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2009 12:00:46 PM

Sweet. If you can, I'd go for the Zalman VF1000. It's bigger and better, and it still only covers one extra slot.
August 7, 2009 3:08:37 AM

guys, i increased GPU and Memory clock not even half way but when i start ArmA2 i see square pixels on and off the screen rapidly but they never disappear, i went back to CCC and lowered down the memory clock slightly and the pixels disappeared, however when i run the auto test in the CCC both GPU and memory clock are set all the way almost at the end near max. Is over clocking game dependent!
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2009 6:35:38 PM

No, just some games stress the GPU and GPU memory differently. Your best bet is to run ATItool's stress test. It's the best, IMO.
August 10, 2009 8:33:31 AM

usually, the 4830 memory doesn't go very high, where the gpu goes 700+ mhz. it's the same core as the 4850, only with less shader processors activated, so clocks should go at least as high as a 4850 on the gpu. dots, stripes etc. usually indicate that your mem is set to high. a too high gpu clock almost always gives lockups...

my sapphire 4830 512mb runs stable at 700/950 at descent temps... every game responds different on overclocking but you need to make sure ALL your games run perfectly, or you will damage your hardware eventually.

better save than sorry: an extra 20mhz doesn't do much for your gaming experience anyway.
August 10, 2009 4:09:57 PM

jedimasterben said:
No, just some games stress the GPU and GPU memory differently. Your best bet is to run ATItool's stress test. It's the best, IMO.

Thank you, i was trying to install ATItools last night on win 7 64 but wouldn't start due to driver signature. I tried Rivatuner which i like but it doesn't have AA option, so i have to stick with CCC.
August 10, 2009 4:11:09 PM

meljor said:
usually, the 4830 memory doesn't go very high, where the gpu goes 700+ mhz. it's the same core as the 4850, only with less shader processors activated, so clocks should go at least as high as a 4850 on the gpu. dots, stripes etc. usually indicate that your mem is set to high. a too high gpu clock almost always gives lockups...

my sapphire 4830 512mb runs stable at 700/950 at descent temps... every game responds different on overclocking but you need to make sure ALL your games run perfectly, or you will damage your hardware eventually.

better save than sorry: an extra 20mhz doesn't do much for your gaming experience anyway.

Thanks, my settings are 700/924 with no problems.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2009 9:32:32 PM

infirebaptize said:
Thank you, i was trying to install ATItools last night on win 7 64 but wouldn't start due to driver signature. I tried Rivatuner which i like but it doesn't have AA option, so i have to stick with CCC.

You actually don't need the driver to run for the stress test to work. It just doesn't have the ability to set clocks or anything like that.
August 11, 2009 4:56:02 PM

jedimasterben said:
You actually don't need the driver to run for the stress test to work. It just doesn't have the ability to set clocks or anything like that.

thanks, is there an option to force AA in rivatuner?
!