DirecTV Signal Problems

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 30, 2004 1:57:16 AM

I recently moved to a house that, due to topography - a bluff right behind
the house, I can not get a satellite signal. I have tried every angle and
location on the property.

I want the DirecTV sports packages.

Is there any other way to acquire a DirecTV signal ? I am willing to pay
subscription charges.

Could I hook my directv receiver up to regular cable and get a signal?

Can I get a signal somehow over the internet?

Thanks.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 2:26:35 PM

Satellite has to be acquired with a parabolic shaped antenna (most
types,not all) pointed at the southern sky if you are located in the
northern hemisphere.It cannot be acquired over the internet.Cable is
ALREADY a pay for profit COMMUNITY SATELLITE service anyway.That is what
CATV stands for:Community Antenna TV.Your cable company gets its signal
from a BIG HUGE dish (in my town a 75 foot diameter job) and pipes it
all over the city.Sending its signal to your small dish would be
pointless.
If your look angle is obstructed as bad as you say,you could look into
placing your dish on top of an amateur radio type of tower.I have seen
this done.However,it is expensive.The CHEAPEST tower I have ever seen
was $1500.00 for a 60 footer,NOT including the costs of pouring the
concrete base for it.
I do not know where to acquire such a tower as I am not a ham-radio
operator.I have just seen it done in my neighborhod in a similar
situation.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 6:38:24 PM

RS wrote:

> I recently moved to a house that, due to topography - a bluff right behind
> the house, I can not get a satellite signal. I have tried every angle and
> location on the property.

Have you done this yourself personally, or did you have an installer
do it, including on the roof of your house?

> I want the DirecTV sports packages.
>
> Is there any other way to acquire a DirecTV signal ? I am willing to pay
> subscription charges.

You'd be paying that anyway.

> Could I hook my directv receiver up to regular cable and get a signal?

Nope.
That's why it's called "SATELLITE" TV.

> Can I get a signal somehow over the internet?

Nope.
October 31, 2004 6:30:32 PM

SAC 441 wrote:

> Satellite has to be acquired with a parabolic shaped antenna (most
> types,not all) pointed at the southern sky if you are located in the
> northern hemisphere.It cannot be acquired over the internet.Cable is
> ALREADY a pay for profit COMMUNITY SATELLITE service anyway.That is what
> CATV stands for:Community Antenna TV.

And I thought it meant Cable Access TeleVision.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:30:33 PM

AH49 writes:
----"And I thought it meant Cable Access TeleVision."----

Reply:
I suppose it could.It is semantics in my opinion anyway.I was using a
translation from an information flyer Adelphia Cable Co. used when I
lived in an adjacent county that it serves.That is what they wrote in
it.In any event,when people see the CATV acronym,most people know of the
distinction.
!