Sign in with
Your question

Issues with Gigabyte wp01gs

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 3, 2009 9:52:34 PM

My connection suddenly dropped from 1500KB/s to 10KB/s. No issues with my other wireless stuff. Tried reinstalling, changing PCI slots, latest drivers, re-installing the original drivers from the CD, the Gigabyte connection software, back to Windows Zero, nothing helps. No idea what to try next.

More about : issues gigabyte wp01gs

a b \ Driver
December 4, 2009 4:21:11 PM

Anything nearby that could cause interference?
m
l
March 25, 2010 6:43:42 PM

Unfortunately yes. It's on a media PC so TiVo, cable box, television, and Wii wireless are all right there. However, if I turn all those things off, I still have really slow connections, so I don't think that's it. I tried turning my old wireless router into a wireless bridge using dd-wrt, but that didn't work properly. Gigabyte basically told me to return the card to Newegg. It's beyond the 30 days Newegg will take it back, so I'm stuck.
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:44:10 AM

What connection, your Internet connection? A local connection?

Measured how? Using http://www.SpeedTest.net ?

Can you temporarily install the PCI card in another machine to see if it's a problem w/ the card vs. the machine? Or perhaps boot a Linux Live CD and see if things improves (of course, Linux is always a crapshoot when it comes to wireless, but maybe you’ll get lucky).

Did you recently install any anti-malware utilities, esp. anything w/ active scanning (e.g., Norton, McAfee, etc.)? Some of these utilities can really kill your performance as they inspect every packet entering the system. Combine that w/ transfers from another local PC using the same utility and it can get pretty bad.
m
l
!