XFX GTX 260 problems please help!

spencerfine

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
My new gpu wont boot! I bought the xfx black edition (216 core) gtx 260 to upgrade from an old ati x1650. Here's what I did: power off, power off psu, removed ati, resituated hard drive (because the gtx is so big), wiggled it in, connected the one pci express 6 prong from the psu, and for the other 6 pin input, i used the included splitter to connect power with a free power cable (later tried 2 plugs into the splitter). result? won't boot. won't boot at all. i take it out and pop out the battery to clear cmos with the same result, nothing. then figured the psu wattage was the problem so unplugged most everything else and took out 3 sticks of ram to get maximum watts and still nothing. repeated attempts at swapping cables, making sure gpu was seated correctly, popping battery in and out, with the same result. Here's the weird thing, it starts spinning when the 2 pciE power plugs are pulled out but of course its not plugged in so it doesnt spin the fan or load. I can't tell if the other modular psu cable is messed up (dont have another one) or if the psu is just not cutting it which i doubt, or something else. i end up plugging the ati back in and it boots up fine (without any required pciE power input let alone 2 for the gtx). must be providence bc that card just died last night and now i can't boot up at all. today i went to my parents house and tried to install the 2nd gtx 260 (identical) card I ordered with my dad into his computer with an antec smart power 450w and guess what? NOTHING! could be the psu is too small here bc the box says recommended 550w minimum but with my hx520 at home i doubt thats the problem as pretty much confirmed by a google search. I'M LOSING IT! If you can help at all, please reply and thank you for your time. Spencer

My stats: im running a e6600 OCed to 3.0, 1 raptor, 2 tb barracuda's, corsair hx520, 4x1gb corsair 6400c4, p5w dh deluxe mobo with newest 2801 bios, tuniq tower cpu sink, antec p180 case, running a stripped down version of win xp pro 32bit

update: my dads gpu doesnt work in my computer either