Sign in with
Your question

OC Genie on MSI motherboard isn't working

Last response: in Overclocking
November 1, 2010 1:19:47 PM

Hello,

I realize this has probably been asked a million times before, but I'm kind of panicking right now. I'm searching as I wait for replies.

I decided to give Msi's OC Genie technology a go this morning since I had heard it was the safest way to overclock. I went into the BIOS and enabled it since I'm using the GD45 which has no button on the motherboard for that. So, I saved the settings and rebooted. ?No I see my computer powering on, but after like, 4 seconds it just shuts off. I can't even get back into the BIOS to turn it off.

I have a 700W PSU, so I don't think it should be a power issue. I think it has 4 12+ volt rails?

I don't think it's my CPU overheating because I just turned it on, basically. it should be cold, actually.

Anyways, I reallly need help on how to just get my default settings back.

MSI said tha it would go back to defaults after a certain number of tries. It's not.

Please help!

November 1, 2010 2:47:57 PM

I just tried clearing my CMOS with the jumpers and I think that it worked, but it's back to the whole on/off thing.

At this point, it's making me believe that it's the CPU frying...
m
l
November 1, 2010 3:33:15 PM

Try pulling the small battery from the motherboard for about a minute or so. That should clear everything.

I've had two issues where the computer would quickly turn off after booting it up. I'm a little fuzzy on the details for the first issue, but I believe I had something plugged into the wrong socket. The second time was a heat issue, I believe, because the single time I did make it to the OS I started up ET6 and noticed the temperature was at 100C. I had forgotten to pull the plastic off the heatsink and that somehow effected the temperature.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 8:03:02 PM

thanks, I had only tried the jumper method at this point, but I took out the battery between reading that and writing this. It didn't work, haha.

I'm going to try using both methods at the same time and leaving it on (or off) longer.

Do you know if OC Genie ever fries CPUs? My friend told me that it didn't alter any voltages so it should be okay?
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 1, 2010 11:08:07 PM

It's much safer/stable to make oc adjustments manually in the bios.
My own personal experience using Gigabyte's oc software proved unsatisfactory.
Most forum members will agree mobo manufacturers oc software is problematic.
Go into your bios and load factory defaults.
save and exit.
m
l
November 1, 2010 11:51:59 PM

I always thought that the OC tool would be a safer route for noobs like me.

Also, I can't get to the BIOS.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 2, 2010 1:18:14 AM

Safe procedure for reset/clear cmos.
Turn off psu from on/off button
Unplug from wall
Depress case power button to discharge capicitors
Touch metal chassis or psu with one hand
Pull battery if you don't have a cmos reset button
Wait a couple of minutes
Replace battery and power up.
If you still can't get into bios either your battery is dead or you have other issues.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:21:48 AM

Neither the battery nor JBAT jumper methods worked. I left the jumper on 2+3 and the battery out for over an hour. Any other ways to clear the CMOS?
m
l
November 2, 2010 2:55:50 PM

davcon said:
Safe procedure for reset/clear cmos.
Turn off psu from on/off button
Unplug from wall
Depress case power button to discharge capicitors
Touch metal chassis or psu with one hand
Pull battery if you don't have a cmos reset button
Wait a couple of minutes
Replace battery and power up.
If you still can't get into bios either your battery is dead or you have other issues.

I guess it would have to be other issues because I bought my motherboard this summer, it seems doubtful that the battery would run out already.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 12:55:03 AM

just push on Auto OC near your PCIE in Mobo, it seem to Above all
m
l
November 3, 2010 11:41:11 AM

I had this same problem first time I tried to O/C my MSI board, although it ran for about 45min at 10% easy oc. I have rMA'd it twice!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 4, 2010 12:13:27 AM

yeach ... all genie MSI always On/auto OC switch on, we must disabled it manual, swith OC near Slot PCIE in mobo
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:15:22 PM

Well, MSi told me I could RMA it.

The reason I couldn't push a button to turn of OC Genie is because the P55M-GD45 doesn't have an actual button, only a BIOS setting to turn on OC genie.

thanks for all of your help, sorry for wasting time, haha, seeing that I'm just going to RMA it.

(International Shipping... painful stuff. X_X)
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:22:05 PM

How long have you had this board for? Based on my luck, I fried two of them (one with the OC switches on the mobo, and once manually through the BIOS. Getting your money back and buying a new board would be the best solution IMO.
m
l
!