ECS a770m-a

rayjay1223

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I am building a new computer from scratch. I hooked every thing up and it looks like it gonna power up then just stops or doesn't power up at all. It seems like it stops right when it goes to POST or before it can even start POST. I cleared the CMOS and still nothing. I have tested the power supply and it works fine. My brother and I ordered the exact same MOBO/CPU, PSU and RAM. We just have different cases. His boots up fine and has had no problem with his. The case is a little cheap and I am not sure if it's a short in the power button. Some feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

MOBO: ECS a770m-a
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000 Dual Core
PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
If you have the same builds, start swapping one component at a time between the two, you will eventually find what is causing the problem. It may be you just got a bad board. Inspect it for physical damage, broken caps, socket, scratched traces on the bottom... also make sure all the mounting posts on the case match up with holes in the motherboard, if you have a post touching the underside of the board it could be shorting it. You can try hooking everything up with the board sitting on the motherboard box so it's not even in the case (don't put it on the antistatic bag, that will short it). Good luck.