Installing Graphics Card and MoBo Drivers?

sdcman1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I have a couple of questions regarding my graphics card and motherboard. I'm getting ready to build my first system. I'm just waiting for some of the rest of the stuff to come.

Should I install the graphics card during the assembly, or should I install it after the PC is running smoothly with its OS and stuff? If I install it during assembly, should I connect the monitor to it, will I have a display? When I get into BIOS, should I disable the on-board video? When do I install the drivers?

When do I install the motherboard drivers? After the OS is installed?

Also, what about my CD/DVD and HDD? How do I install the drivers? What if it doesn't recognize them?

Also, should I install my media card reader during assembly? I was thinking of doing it after the OS is installed. I've read it had an issue assigning drive letters or something.

I just have questions on what I'm supposed to do for the first boot after all the hardware is installed.

Some of my Specs:
MoBo: ASUS P5QL-CM
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz 1066FSB
Graphics Card: ASUS EAH3450
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Ballistix (from Crucial.com)
CD/DVD Drive: LG 22X model GH22NP20
Hard Drive: Seagate 250GB SATA
Media Card Reader: Koutech IO-RCM620
Case and PSU: Power Up Black Corporate ATX Mid-Tower Case, 450Watt PSU (tigerdirect part number: TC3J-4042 P)

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
You can install everything before your first boot. In terms of the video drivers, the system will post and boot after the OS install with a really low resolution (I'm not sure if this is onboard video or just what it looks like when there are no drivers). After you have installed the OS, you should then get the latest video drivers from the manufacturer's website and install the mobo drivers. The bios will recognize the cd/dvd and HDD without a problem but you should go into the bios setup to confirm.

The most important step is making sure your new PC posts and you can install the OS...after that it's smooth sailing.

You could install everything at once. But, if there is a problem, you will have to take things apart to do some problem resolution.

I would assemble the minimum required outside the case, on a piece of cardboard first.
cpu and heatsink
ram
plug monitor into integrated grapnics.

You should be able to get into the bios then.

Next add the dvd burner, and run memtest86+ to verify that the ram is ok.

Put the mobo in the case.

Add the hard drive and install the OS.
At some point, the os will ask if you have a cd that came with the mobo, that is where the drivers for the chipset are.

When all is done, add the vga card and download the vga card drivers from the mfg web site.
In the bios, you may want to disable the integrated video adapter if you don't have two monitors. The mobo needs to know where to send the boot/bios displays.

I think add the media reader/s at the end.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I would install the following into your case:

* Power supply
* Motherboard
* CPU & Heatsink
* Graphics card
* One hard-drive

Connect the power to the power supply, monitor to the graphics card, keyboard and mouse and start up the system. Note when you install everything into the case, don't bother with perfect cable management, tucking the wires out the way, etc. The goal is to install the bare minimum and make sure it boots successfully.

I would try that. If everything works fine, then add your sound card and extra hard-drives and burners. Windows recognizes burners automatically but usually to get the best burning features you need to buy a program such as Nero. I would disable onboard video during the 1st phase (above) of testing your system.

You usually install drivers into Windows, after you've completed installing Windows. Usually you install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software (for RAID), then the Intel Chipset software, then graphics card drivers, sound card drivers and anything else based on your hardware.

I hope this helps.

sdcman1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks you guys. OK, so now I have another question.

How do I get online? I have internet access in my old computer (typing on it right now). It's AT&T Yahoo.

Do I install the software on my new computer, or what?

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

As if "Then get online" wasn't confusing, eh?

Assuming you have DSL, you would need to install your network card drivers, such as Marvell or Intel Gigabit NIC, it depends on the chip used on your motherboard, or plug-in network/wireless card. You would install these at any time after you install the Intel Chipset drivers.

Once you plug in your network cable to your computer, from your router, DSL/cable modem, a network icon shows up in your Network Connections area within Windows. If your internet connection was already working on another computer, you should be able to plug in and go as the router or DSL/cable modem uses DHCP and hands out an internal IP address to the client computer.

If not, then you'll need to locate the settings from your ISP and set these up in your router's or DSL/cable modem's internal web-page, usually by opening the browser and going to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. Usually with DSL you go to the router's internal web-page and setup your User ID, Password and e-mail address and that's enough to allow the router to see the Internet. As I said, you only need to do this if you've not been using your router before.

The first step though, is identifying your NIC (Network Interface Card) type and locating the drivers for that, usually on the CD that came with the motherboard, although I would look on the Internet for more updated drivers.

In the normal course of events, all you need to do is to plug in an ethernet connection. Either an additional one from a port on your router, if you have one, or, unplug from your old pc and into the new if you don't have a router. Vista will have enought to get you going. It may use that connection to get updates needed for the install.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
As if "Then get online" wasn't confusing, eh?

How is "Then get online" confusing. I guess you missed the part where I said you may have to call your ISP. I'm sure he already knew how to plug the network cable into the network port.

It's confusing because as someone who clearly stated he is building his first system, to be told "then get online" really doesn't provide the detail he needs to browse the internet. The step he needs to perform is installing network card drivers, be it for an integrated NIC, wireless USB key or internal wireless card. Without that his PC can't use the RJ45 cable plugged into his computer. Calling the ISP for settings is only useful if he never used the router or DSL/cable modem before, if he did use it before he should be able to plug it in, be assigned an IP from the built-in DHCP server and no further setup is necessary, but network drivers still need to be installed. That's all I was trying to point out.

TRENDING THREADS