• Power Supplies
Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2009 5:41:06 PM

Here is my build...

Motherboard: ASrock x58 Deluxe

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video: EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285

Power Supply: I have tried both of these 750w PSU's... Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W Continuous and CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Here is my problem...

I received all my parts and built the system no problem. The first power supply I used was the Rosewill Xtreme and the system seemed to work fine until it decided it liked to reboot spontaneously. After a few times doing this it decided it would not turn on at all anymore. No POST no nothing. Thinking it might have been the psu I put in my old Antec Smart Power 500w supply. This worked liked a champ no problems and was able to game for days just fine. Thinking the Rosewill psu was defective I returned it and purchased the Corsair 750w which a friend has working in a similar system. Received the new psu installed it and the computer powered up once for a couple hours then shut off by itself and has never come back on since.

Once again I installed my old 500w Antec psu and it is working like a champ. My next step is to try the Corsair 750w in my old system but until I have a chance to do that I was hoping someone might have a little insight into this problem.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
Madboy

More about : build boot 750w power supply

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2009 9:54:04 PM

I would reinstall the cpu heatsink; could be a heat issue. I would also reseat the memory, and check for any recent bios updates. Flashing the bios shouldn't be done unless it will address a problem; since you already have one, see if a newer bios version is available. And if the flash goes bad (dead board), just tell asrock it won't post or send it back to your vender.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2009 11:42:09 PM

Wow! Two PSUs fail to run the system, the third one runs it fine. Obviously, you could be that statistical anomaly of getting two bad PSU's . . . your test in the your old system will be very revealing.

If the Corsair fails in the old system, you have a workable answer.

If the Corsair runs it . . . well . . . is there something about the larger PSUs that leads you to make some kind of assembly error, or causing a short? Could there be some issue with the mobo's signal for the psu to turn on?

Frankly, let's wait and hope the Corsair fails in your old system lol.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2009 7:15:26 PM

I tested the Corsair in my old system and it did not work. So I went ahead and RMA'd the Corsair PSU and got the replacement. Tested it in my old system first and it worked fine. Removed it and put it in the new system and so far everything is working like a champ.

I guess I just had bad luck and got two bad psu in a row.

Thanks for the replies, I think it's all working out fine now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2009 11:00:53 PM

madboy001 said:
I tested the Corsair in my old system and it did not work. So I went ahead and RMA'd the Corsair PSU and got the replacement. Tested it in my old system first and it worked fine. Removed it and put it in the new system and so far everything is working like a champ.

I guess I just had bad luck and got two bad psu in a row.

Thanks for the replies, I think it's all working out fine now.

Well thats unusual but it does happen, I had the same thing happen with 2 identical water pumps, purchased at exactly the same time from the same place and being the same brand, bought the second pump at the same time to have a backup pump on hand, just in case, it turned out both pumps were defective!!!

Needless to say that was the last straw in my adventures in water cooling, haven't water cooled since.

I'm glad you got the situation resolved!
m
l
!