Need help overclocking intel E2180 on a gigabyte 945GCM-S2L mobo

rohith07

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
hi, i'm new to overclocking and i want to know how to overclock my intel E2180 on stock cooling.
I have a gigabyte 945GCM-S2L mobo, i saw in the forum that the E2180 can be overclocked to 3.2 Ghz.
So i tried to do that by increasing the fbs, i was able to get it to a 2.6Ghz but not any further.
when i try to increase more and boot the system i get a message "Boot failure, insert disk", and my HDD doesn't get detected.

please can anyone help me with this.

thank you.

rohith07

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
after decreasing the fsb (260 or less) the hdd gets detected and it boots up normally and everything is fine, but once i try to increase fsb the same problem again.

could you tell me what to do in detail.

You are at the limits of your stock cooler.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB.

If you are at your stock FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio.

Overclocking RAM does not accomplish much in a Core2 system.

rohith07

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
guys need help, i dunno what went wrong when i was setting up the bios.
i am not able to boot my system, not even able to get into bios.
when i switch on the cpu only the light goes on and the fans are spinning, but nothing is being displayed.

can anyone help me, plz, plz, plz.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
What you need to do is unplug the computer or click the switch on the power supply. Open your case and look for the battery, near it somewhere should be a 3 pin jumper. If it isn’t near it then you’ll have to look for it, your manual will show you where it is. Now move the jumper to the opposite 2 pins and wait a few seconds, then put in back to the original position. You should be good to go, you will have to input your settings again unless you have a profile saved.