System Can't Find SSD or Loses It While Running

dennisc72

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hello,
I recently upgraded most of the hardware in my computer, except the video card in fact. I have an Asus M4N75TD motherboard and a Corsair V32 Nova SSD as my boot drive. Although it kicks butt when it works I'm having problems getting it to detect the SSD. Either it won't at all or it stops after several minutes. It this a defect with the SSD, the motherboard, the SATA data cable, or ???

dennisc72

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I haven't tried too much yet. I went here to see if there were any issues with the SSD or the motherboard but I couldn't see anything and I kept seeing this invite to post a question so I did. There was once or twice it lost the 500 GB drive but not the SSD. Disconnecting the data cable and reconnecting it would fix it temporarily but hasn't lately. I took the OS off that drive so I'd need to boot from a CD to test if it will work without the SSD.

dennisc72

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
It appears to have been the SATA data cable. I replaced it and it hasn't crashed - yet - after being on for over an hour and a half. The last few times it wouldn't start at all or it would crash after a few minutes.

Now that I'm here I might as well look around to see what I can find out or suggest. My next project is moving that idiot winsxs folder, but that will be for another forum.

randomizer

Champion
Moving winsxs is like moving your car engine from the front to the back while it is running. Really not a good idea. It is easiest to do it using, say, a Linux Live CD, but even then you run some risk of borking your installation. I would certainly not try it while running Windows. Not only will Windows probably tell you that you don't have permission to make changes to your own computer, but you'll probably find that Windows will spite you and generate a new (but smaller due to missing things from the old one) winsxs folder immediately after you move the old one, or it will simply wreak havoc.

dennisc72

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'm still stuck with my original problem with the system freezing, likely because of a problem with the SSD. Even though it is much more reliable than it was with the other data cable, it did freeze momentarily once and other time I had to press and hold the power button to shut down and then reboot. I noticed the drive activity LED was on all the time I was waiting before doing that, and that I was able to reboot.

Am I the only one with a problem like this?