Video Card upgrade?

what is the best video card that I can install on a HP media center 7170n?
8 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade
  1. your motherboard has a pci-express x16 slot, so you can upgrade to pretty much any card that you want.
  2. Or at least, cards that fit into a pci-express x 16 slot. Here's a filter search on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609641&name=PCI%20Express%20x16

Let us know when you've made a choice! :)
  3. r_manic said:
    Or at least, cards that fit into a pci-express x 16 slot. Here's a filter search on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609641&name=PCI%20Express%20x16

Let us know when you've made a choice! :)

You filtered out all the PCIE 2.0 cards, which are backward compatible with PCIE 1.0 slots.
    The amount of RAM installed in your system (1Gb) will be a limiting factor if you plan to get a mid-high end video card. I suggest you upgrade to atleast 2Gb when installing the card.

Also, what will be the main purpose of this system?
  4. His HP center is a mid-tower case i think so he's not limited to low profile cards which is a good thing lol.
  5. Depends on your Power Supply really. If you're going to use the thing for gaming I'd say go with a 9800GT or Radeon 4830 if you have a good PSU in it and if you have a dual core Pentium faster than 3.0GHz. Since the PSU is probably week then I'd say go for a Radeon 4670 if the PSU is at least 300W, and if it's not then a Geforce 9500GT.
  6. Yeah stock HP powersupplies are really bad for upgrading high performance video cards, same as Dells.
  7. Upgrade the PSU and then get a faster video card.Any 550watt PSU with 40-50amps on the 12volt rail will suffice for anything up to a 4870 or gtx280.Goodluck.
  8. Let's hope Anonymous comes back with updates; I want to know what he decided on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Media Center Hewlett Packard Graphics Product