Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I am undecided on what CPU cooler to buy, what do you guys think of this:

- THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW, it looks like an evolution on the Noctua NH-D14...is it?

Other solutions: All suggestions welcomed,

A good tower cooler that isn't too heavy, doesn't make a lot of noise, and permits me to install tall DDR3 memories (3 channel), with their independent air-cooler.

P.S. Water cooling is absolutely out of the question, so please don't even mention it.

Thanks for your attention.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Sorry about that.

Case - 3 x CM HAF X and one Raven Rev2.
CPU - All with i7 750 / 1 with i7 980.
Memory - All triple channel from Corsair / 2 are Dominator GT with Heat-Sink.
Mobo's - 2 MSI Bib Bang XPower/ 1 ASUS X58 Sabertooth/ 1 eVGA
Classified 3

As for Overclocking: Yes, I intend to overclock to the highest possible stable configuration, for 24/7 systems.

Thanks, and sorry for lack of info in first post.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
@ henydiah - I find those tables extremely dated, and have no trust in the site you mentioned.

The Spire seems to get good reviews, as for the Tuniq, there are none available near me, at the moment.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes the TR Silver Arrow is the best available air cooler at the moment.
It's quieter and smaller then the D14 and provides slightly better cooling performance.
You really can't go wrong with either unit.
If you want smaller units the TR Venomous X and the Prolimatech Megahalems are top-notch.
Another interesting unit is the TR Archon designed specifically for use with tall ram modules.
155mm x Width 53mm x Height 170mm
As you can see it's a tall unit ,won't be a problem in a HAF X.
Won't fit in a Raven 2 though,i don't think a 160mm tall unit will fit in a RV02.
I've yet to read a review on it yet but coming with a 140mm TY-140 fan it will be quiet.(21db)
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=27&id=172
Most builds i've seen in a RV02 use a Mugen 2 for cooling and as you know it's not tall ram friendly.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks Davcon. I'll probably go with two Silver Arrows. The TR Archon, which I knew nothing about, sure looks good, for one of the high-mem builds.
As for the Raven, which will carry another of the high-mem's, I'll have to measure it thoroughly, and see what I can get in there. Hadn't thought of the Mugan, with all the clatter going around the interwebby. It's a cooler I really love, aside it's assembly issues, and I'll definitely put it on my priority list (hope it fits into the Raven).

P.S. » I've been preparing all the towers this morning, and afternoon, and I can safely say that the Raven 2 is a pleasure to work with, such built-quality. It looks small, beside the Xs, but it's really well designed, and engineered.

P.P.S. » A BEST ANSWER, if only I knew how to give it. I'm too sleepy, or is that feature on another forum???

Thank you all so very much. And a special thanks to you Davcon!!!

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
ok if you want great performance its gunna be loud!!!!! i can tell you my V6GT from Coolermaster is hella loud but it cools like no ones business!!!

your gunna have to sacrifice comfort if you want performance