Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Core i7 System Build - Specs Need help

Last response: in Components
Share
June 17, 2009 3:43:40 PM

I am new here and I am building me a custom PC. I want to make sure that I have chosen some good parts before I by. If I could get some opinions that would be great.

My Build

2 x WD 640GB Black HDD
Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler
Antec 1200 Case
Antec 1000Watt PSU
ASUS P6t Deluxe
i7 920
OCZ Gold 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600
BFG GTX 285 OC (already bought)
a c 77 ) Power supply
June 17, 2009 4:14:41 PM

Please review this thread.... *How To Ask For New Build Advice*. It is very helpful for you to complete this information so we can better help you.

Two quick suggestions:
1.) You don't need 1000W PSU for your system. Save some money and downgrade to a good 750W PSU from Corsair or PC Power&Cooling
2.) Save some additional money and get the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail over the Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler. It actually out performs the Zalman... http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
June 17, 2009 4:32:43 PM

edarnold35 said:
I am new here and I am building me a custom PC. I want to make sure that I have chosen some good parts before I by. If I could get some opinions that would be great.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: the closer the better BUDGET RANGE: $1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, video editing and encoding

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Core i7 CPU, Antec Case 1200

OVERCLOCKING: Yes Maybe SLI at a later date

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to have a window and needs to be cooled well.


My Build

2 x WD 640GB Black HDD
Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler
Antec 1200 Case
Antec 1000Watt PSU
ASUS P6t Deluxe
i7 920
OCZ Gold 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600
BFG GTX 285 OC (already bought)

Related resources
June 17, 2009 4:35:26 PM

tecmo34 said:
Please review this thread.... *How To Ask For New Build Advice*. It is very helpful for you to complete this information so we can better help you.

Two quick suggestions:
1.) You don't need 1000W PSU for your system. Save some money and downgrade to a good 750W PSU from Corsair or PC Power&Cooling
2.) Save some additional money and get the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail over the Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler. It actually out performs the Zalman... http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm



Thanks for the help and I will repost. Newegg had a $40 rebate with the Antec PSU that is why I was going with that. Do you think that the Corsair PSU is better?
June 18, 2009 6:02:18 AM

Corair PSU should be better, I have a corsair hx-1000 on my i7 rig and its realy good, but I could of got away with the HX-750 (2x4870 1gb in cf). Rest of the build seems fine all though I would advise against the Zalman cooler, they had developed a good name previously but recent products have be very average in terms of performance. I would go with either a noctua U12P 1366 SE or if you wanted to save some money a scythe Mugen 2, I have a mugen 2 and its good, in fact is one of the best i7 coolers on the market but also one of the cheapest too, which is a very rare combination.
June 18, 2009 12:56:42 PM

D3LTA09 said:
Corair PSU should be better, I have a corsair hx-1000 on my i7 rig and its realy good, but I could of got away with the HX-750 (2x4870 1gb in cf). Rest of the build seems fine all though I would advise against the Zalman cooler, they had developed a good name previously but recent products have be very average in terms of performance. I would go with either a noctua U12P 1366 SE or if you wanted to save some money a scythe Mugen 2, I have a mugen 2 and its good, in fact is one of the best i7 coolers on the market but also one of the cheapest too, which is a very rare combination.



Thanks for the advice. I believe I will go with the corsair 750 and I will look into the those 2 coolers you talked about. What temps are you getting with that cooler underload and idle?
a c 77 ) Power supply
June 18, 2009 4:31:54 PM

With my XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V I'm getting around 33C at idle and 54C at load using RealTemp.
June 18, 2009 5:19:08 PM

Where you able to hide all your wires in the back of the case without extensions?
a c 77 ) Power supply
June 18, 2009 8:33:51 PM

I hide my cables behind the motherboard but I had to buy an extension for the 8-pin connector.

June 19, 2009 4:28:20 AM

That is a great build. Those pics really helped me out. So far I think I will go with corsair 750, Xigmateck dark knight and I will be sure to add an 8 pin extension.
a c 77 ) Power supply
June 19, 2009 6:00:22 AM

edarnold35 said:
That is a great build. Those pics really helped me out. So far I think I will go with corsair 750, Xigmateck dark knight and I will be sure to add an 8 pin extension.


Thanks & Your Welcome! :D 

Good Luck on the build
June 21, 2009 10:32:50 AM

edarnold35 said:
Thanks for the advice. I believe I will go with the corsair 750 and I will look into the those 2 coolers you talked about. What temps are you getting with that cooler underload and idle?


Sorry took a while to get back, at 3.8ghz im idling at 30-35 atm according to real temp and I get about 65 at full load on prime 95. at 3.5 on stock voltages was similar idle temps but not over 60.

anywaz sounds like you got it sussd, enjoy the new build!
June 21, 2009 11:18:09 AM

thats low temps! awesome... and ur using what case and cpu cooler (scythe mugen 2)?
and what is ur average ambient temps?
June 21, 2009 12:04:20 PM

Yea im pretty happy with it now but its taken a while to get it all sorted out. Thats right im using a scythe mugen 2 and thermaltake v9 black edition case with 2x120mm fans at the front 1 at the back, 230mm at the top and have the case open but thats for my gpus more than cpu as I have no choice but to have my soundcard in between them.

I say it took a while because with the mugen 2 you have 4 different options to mount the fan or fans (1-4 120mm's) and 2 different ways of mounting the cooler. At the moment I have the fan mounted on the exhaust side of the heatsink in a pull config as my ram heat spreaders dont allow my to have it as a push set up on the other side. Previously I had it mounted underneath on my gpu side if that makes sense pushing air out the top to my 230mm fan but I got about 3-5 degree drop by moving to the aforementioned spot at full load (idle roughly the same).

Im waiting on arrival of another higher CFM (standard one with mugen 2 is 70ish and order a 110cfm 1900rpm version) scythe fan 2morow so will see what a push/pull config or just a pull config with a higher CFM fan will do for my temps. Also waiting on a evercool 70x70x10 fan for my mobo tray as my case gives me option of a fan blowing directly onto the reverse side of the cpu chip, be interesting to see if moving the heat from the back of the mobo does much for temps.

I wont lie my setup is probably quite affected my fairly low ambient temps as its winter in my country (NZ) so prolly not gona be quite so good in summer Id say up in the 70s at full load so might go to WC then.
June 21, 2009 12:08:45 PM

cool...keep us posted with the new fans :D 
!