Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

DX58SO and lockups

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2009 10:16:35 PM

Ive been having lockup issues ever since i had the board, at first this only happened when I was running 3D apps, I figured that maybe it was the drivers for the vid card, but today it locked up, (no BSOD, no nothing, just froze period, and the sound stopped) Now i know its sort of a new board so maybe its just one of those know bugs till they fix it, but its damn irritating. The latest crash happened in skype, so perhaps the casue is partually sound card driver related, I really don't know, I just want this issue to go away.

DX58SO Mobo (bios version 4196)
i7 processor
6 GB of Kingston memory
Using the crappy on board Realtek audio (AUD_allOS_5892_PV_RTL is the driver)
650 GB Hitachi hard drive
BFG 800 WATT PSU

Geforce 8800 GTS (640 MB version) Driver 182.50 as I heard the 190.365 may of caused issues.

More about : dx58so lockups

a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2009 1:22:55 AM

Drivers, Heat, memory, psu (most likely) in sequence because the first 3 are easiest to test.

1) Remove all nVidia software (Control Panel), download the last qualified driver, and install fresh.
2) Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to record temps and see if lock-ups correlate to temps either in the gpu or cpu. Let us know what your temps are at idle, when it crashes, and what happens when you try to run 30 minutes of Prime95.
3) Repeat #1 with a single stick of memory installed (ie, run until you lock up; run Prime95). If successful, repeat with each other stick.
4) If/when all those show no change or no useful info, we'll talk about your PSU.
August 29, 2009 4:26:39 AM

Twoboxer said:
Drivers, Heat, memory, psu (most likely) in sequence because the first 3 are easiest to test.

1) Remove all nVidia software (Control Panel), download the last qualified driver, and install fresh.
2) Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to record temps and see if lock-ups correlate to temps either in the gpu or cpu. Let us know what your temps are at idle, when it crashes, and what happens when you try to run 30 minutes of Prime95.
3) Repeat #1 with a single stick of memory installed (ie, run until you lock up; run Prime95). If successful, repeat with each other stick.
4) If/when all those show no change or no useful info, we'll talk about your PSU.

So when running prime95, do I have it run all threads, or does that part not matter? I would think running that many threads at max would overheat the cpu, dun wanna damage it.

Thing is, I had this issue happen a few times with my last PSU which worked fine on the previous system. sort of just swapped out PSUs before gettign a newer one. I also had the 190.38 drivers, and removed those, and installed older drivers, a friend of mine said its having a PCI-Express 1.1 vid card in the 2.0 slot, even though its in compatability mode.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2009 5:14:07 AM

You run Prime95 with all threads possible, and you set rounding error detection "On" in the menu. The purpose of this is to find out if your PC will overheat, while you are watching it.

To watch temps, download Realtemp, Coretemp, or CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Don't let Core Temps exceed 75C - just stop Prime95 if it gets close (so make sure you know how to do that fairly quickly). And don't leave the machine for more than a minute until you get the feeling your temps are truly stable.
August 29, 2009 6:37:21 AM

Twoboxer said:
You run Prime95 with all threads possible, and you set rounding error detection "On" in the menu. The purpose of this is to find out if your PC will overheat, while you are watching it.

To watch temps, download Realtemp, Coretemp, or CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Don't let Core Temps exceed 75C - just stop Prime95 if it gets close (so make sure you know how to do that fairly quickly). And don't leave the machine for more than a minute until you get the feeling your temps are truly stable.

Ok, ran Prime95 for about 40 mins or so using 4 threads as that left each core stable at about 66-68 C, there were no issues to speak of. Do I need to still do the single ram stick test?

I had also run BurnInTest (64 bit version) earlier and ran it for a while, it tested all ram at once, but I am not sure if its a really thourough test, no problems there.

I have noticed that the occurance of the crashes have been during or after I have run Second Life. The crash during skype was shortly after logging out of SL, and just about every crash so far. I can understand while its running, but after it has closed kinda confuses me.

I should also mention I have had a similar issue using the vid card on another machine, and I am not sure when the issues started up after a driver update or when I updated vista to SP2, but the crashes were not the same, the sound would still be there, though it sort of looped, and the screen would black out.
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2009 6:46:34 AM

It didn't run 8 threads?

Anyhow, 40 minutes isn't really enough, but let's move on. Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to record your gpu temps. See if there's a correlation between high gpu temps and freeze-up in SL.
August 30, 2009 3:36:47 AM

Twoboxer said:
It didn't run 8 threads?

Anyhow, 40 minutes isn't really enough, but let's move on. Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to record your gpu temps. See if there's a correlation between high gpu temps and freeze-up in SL.

Hmm, I ran SL yesterday, monitored and watched it, no issues, max GPU was 72 C, I'm beginning to wonder if this is actualy the video card and just sometimes it screwes something up inside it and either during or after SL has run it freezes. But not all the time. Every time it has frozen, SecondLife is either running when I go to do something else. This has happened a few times in vista, and only once in windows 7 RC. I know SL has an odd way of accessing the video memory, as you can select how much of it to use. Max is 512.

Though this issue as said before existed whith the same card on another machine, but not as often.

Today I ran burn in test by passmark, no issues, but maybe there are certian parts of the video card it does not use, maybe an app that would push the card and test everything. If that dun work, maybe its just SL?
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2009 4:31:15 AM

So far its not heat or drivers (99%). Can't know anything else.

Just reread this thread . . . did the motherboard and psu arrive at the same time? or were you using this psu earlier?
raptonx said:
Though this issue as said before existed whith the same card on another machine, but not as often.
What psu were you using?

40 min on Prime95 isn't enough to totally eliminate memory, but it would be unusual in a non-OC machine. You could try running with one or two sticks of memory, and see if leaving selected chips out stops the freezes. That's a cheap and easy test.

Could be SL vs your vid card vs drivers, but that's low probability. You could google to see if there are many complaints about that specific combo.

Could be the vid card, its been running for a while. Perhaps that makes it a little more likely, but vid cards are pretty robust.

The psu is always the most likely suspect until you can prove its something else.

And that's where we are at.
August 30, 2009 6:15:04 AM

Twoboxer said:

Just reread this thread . . . did the motherboard and psu arrive at the same time? or were you using this psu earlier?
What psu were you using?

40 min on Prime95 isn't enough to totally eliminate memory, but it would be unusual in a non-OC machine. You could try running with one or two sticks of memory, and see if leaving selected chips out stops the freezes. That's a cheap and easy test.

Could be SL vs your vid card vs drivers, but that's low probability. You could google to see if there are many complaints about that specific combo.

Could be the vid card, its been running for a while. Perhaps that makes it a little more likely, but vid cards are pretty robust.

The psu is always the most likely suspect until you can prove its something else.

Hmm, the psu came in RMA'd, only used on this system as the first one was dead (some friend of a friend sold him a broken psu). I was using another PSU before that and I did have the problems sometimes, perhaps it was another kind of issue, not sure. The vid card has given me problems on the other system, so Maybe its between the vid card and the psu. Maybe its just not enough power, I think the best bet is process of elimination and take note of the next crash.

August 30, 2009 9:07:12 AM

Twoboxer said:

What psu were you using?

Ooookey, if these voltages are accurate, there is something going on here, why it did not crash during the report of the voltages is beyond me, maybe they are some sort of dynamically adjusting voltages as I know the processor does that, but I doubt it. So you could be right about that. I do have another power supply that could work with it, slightly older but did work fine with the other system. Power supply is a BFGR800WPSULE.
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2009 4:00:37 PM

1838043,10,85796Ooookey, if these voltages are accurate, there is something going on here, why it did not crash during the report of the voltages is beyond me, maybe they are some sort of dynamically adjusting voltages as I know the processor does that, but I doubt it.[/quotemsg said:

Yeah, there's something going on there, but it has nothing to do with your problem. Take a reading while you are running Prime95. Voltages should be different.

Put the old psu in and run. If it ran your old system with the 880, odds are it will run the new one.

You say "the psu" is a BFG800 . . . which psu, old or new? Both are BFG?
August 30, 2009 5:54:59 PM

The New RMA'd one is a BFG, the older 850 watt one is a Turbo Cool.