Boot Drive has wrong drive letter

Ralph

I did a new installation of windows XP PRO. After the
installation, the boot volume is drive F: not C:. Is
there a way to change the boot volume drive letter to C:?

You can go into a place called Computer Management to change the drive
letters.

On my computer (maybe not yours), I go

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools

and then click Computer Management.

Inside of Computer Management, there are three categories:

System Tools
Storage
Services and Applications

Choose Storage and click the + next to Storage. Under that, choose
Disk Management. All of your hard disks are displayed and, on the
right side of the screen, you can right-click any of them to change
the drive letter that is associated with them.

I have not tried to change a drive letter myself, but my guess is that
a reboot is going to be required if you change the boot drive to C.

Hope this helps,

Brian

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:53:45 -0700, "Ralph"

Ralph wrote:
> I did a new installation of windows XP PRO. After the
> installation, the boot volume is drive F: not C:. Is
> there a way to change the boot volume drive letter to C:?

Ralph

You cannot change the drive letter for the boot drive. When you installed
you should have taken the option to perform a clean installation which would
have overwritten the C: drive. There are several good tutorials on this
subject.

Clean Installation XP:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

http://theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm