Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom II X2 550

Last response: in Overclocking
November 2, 2010 3:11:22 PM

Good Day!!

I'm having some doubts if my current processor
can cope up with those new and upcoming games such us HAWX2, Medal of Honor, and Crysis 2 on max setting with 2x or 4x AA.

Im currently running my
Phenom II 550 @ 3.7ghz.

And my current system specification:
AMD Phenom 550 @ 3.7
ATI HD 5750 on 1366x768 Screen Resolution
4GB DDR3 of RAM

Do I need to upgrade my processor?
I need your opinions..
Thanks!!

More about : phenom 550

a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2010 11:13:21 PM

some games you wont see a difference if you upgraded, others will be a big improvement. It matters if the game can support more than 2 threads. You will see a bigger improvement by getting a better video card. Also, at the resolution you listed, crossfire wont be of much help if you were to get a second card for crossfire.
m
l
November 3, 2010 1:36:18 AM

my plan is to replace my current processor to a athlon 635 quady..
can i gain better performance when playing SC2 and the upcoming
HAWX2 and Crysis2? Thanks!!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 1:48:53 AM

Have you tried unlocking thee other two cores of your 550 ?
m
l
November 3, 2010 2:11:36 AM

yes.. my last attempt is a couple of hours ago..
i updated by bios, tried to unlock the extra cores but my pc wont boot up.. XD
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 2:29:46 AM

Now that I think about it, your resolution plays a part in how good of an upgrade it is. Your low res (roughly 720p)cpu power factors as highly as your video card does for performance. If you keep that resolution for games, your upgrade is good, if you will get a big monitor or play on a tv, well, you'd be much better off spending the money on a video card.

$.02
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 2:35:15 AM

mygurlmayu143 said:

What about unlocking just one core, x3
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:11:49 AM

festerovic said:
Now that I think about it, your resolution plays a part in how good of an upgrade it is. Your low res (roughly 720p)cpu power factors as highly as your video card does for performance. If you keep that resolution for games, your upgrade is good, if you will get a big monitor or play on a tv, well, you'd be much better off spending the money on a video card.

$.02

1366x768 is my max res and 1280x600 is my low res..
so your saying that my processor can still cope up with the upcoming games and the one who will be left behing is my graphics card?

thanks!!

@sir green300
havent tried because after setting up the cmos setting for ACC, my PC wont boot up..
and i need to reset the CMOS battery to make it boot again..
im just a newb here..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 12:39:43 PM

Not sure what mb you have, but when you enable acc that should open other options, look for "core operation" or something to that effect that will allow you to select 4 core or 3 core operation. Might say something like "3 core operation 0,1,2 and 0,1,3".. Then reboot. Do try both 0,1,2 and 0,1,3 to find out if one of the two extra cores are good or if both are defective.

g/l
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2010 5:49:51 PM

what I'm saying is that if you got a new CPU, you would get a decent performance boost, but if you were playing at a higher res, you would see much less of a benefit from a cpu upgrade.

Right now, if you got the most expensive card out, it would be limited in speed because your CPU would be the bottleneck. So, I don't know your budget, but I would think you could plan on the CPU upgrade, and an eventual video card upgrade in a year or when the next title you MUST play comes out.
m
l
November 4, 2010 2:53:53 AM

green300 said:
Not sure what mb you have, but when you enable acc that should open other options, look for "core operation" or something to that effect that will allow you to select 4 core or 3 core operation. Might say something like "3 core operation 0,1,2 and 0,1,3".. Then reboot. Do try both 0,1,2 and 0,1,3 to find out if one of the two extra cores are good or if both are defective.

g/l

but i can only see 2 cores at the bios?
what should i do sir?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2010 12:48:42 PM

mygurlmayu143 said:

Well I apologize mygurlmayu1, clearly you stated that your pc won't post after enabling acc, so yes your bios doesn't see the extra cores yet. What I suggested would apply more to folks who can post back up after enabling acc, but can't get into their OS. Again, I apologize for giving you any false hope !

Only thing that I can suggest would be to try and increase the vcore in case the bum cores need a little extra in order to fire up. (I would think the max safe vcore amd suggests of 1.425 would be enough) Only other thing I can think of is if you should happen to have an older Biostar mb, try lower the HT Freq. to 1600 and then try acc...

Sorry, was hoping you could get an x3 out of it to hold you over for a bit...

g/l

November 11, 2010 1:54:06 PM

Best answer selected by mygurlmayu143.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2010 5:01:50 PM

mygurlmayu143 said:
but i can only see 2 cores at the bios?
what should i do sir?

Please tell us your motherboard and BIOS version so that we may help you.

Regardless of unlocking extra cores, a PhII 550BE OC'ed to 3.7-3.8GHz is a tremendous gaming chip.
m
l
!