Sign in with
Your question

Mini-itx gaming pc with nvidia hybrid power

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2009 2:58:03 PM

Here are the components for a system build I am considering.
  • Motherboard: Zotac GeForce 9300 ITX
  • Graphics Card: ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT Synergy
  • Case: In Win BM639 with 120W PSU
  • GPU PSU: 5.25" 450W Thermaltake GPU PSU

Other components: Core2Duo Processor, slim optical drive, 2.5" HDD maybe a DC DC external solution to replace the 120W supply.

The idea is that with hybrid SLI (hybrid Power) the 9800 GT will power down while not playing games. Making for a nice quiet PC while watching movies (even HD content) and surfing the web and not guzzling endless amounts of power while left on for p2p. Once I fire up a 3d game the 9800 will kick in.

Might need some modification, but I would like the dedicated GPU PSU to power down too. THe 250W version of the GPU PSU has a switch in the front, but the official spec for that (250W/12v = 20.8a) does not meet the official requirement (26a) of the 9800 GT. What do you think will happen with the dedicated GPU PSU when the 9800 powers down via hybrid SLI? Is it ok to turn the power off while the 9800 is powered down via hybrid SLI?

The other questions that arise are:

Will this baby overheat when everything is under load with stock cooling?

The invitbale, will this GPU fit in this tiny case?

Is 120W enough for the 9300 itx wifi with a HDD, optical drive and a core2Duo?

Could I get away with a 250W dedicated GPU PSU and the 9800 GT?

All question, comments, suggestions welcome!
    March 16, 2009 4:38:14 PM

Hybrid SLI blows. It doesn't really work, don't count on it making any difference at all. I had a XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard with a XFX 9800GT in a SG03 case. When I had hybrid SLI active the system ran as hotter than it did compared to the 9800GT running on its own. In addition you have to manully switch between hybrid SLI power saver mode and hybrid SLI boost. Switching was a hassle because it required you to basically close every program that was open before it would make the switch.

250W is probably not enough. nVidia recommends 400W. I'd say you need a good quality 300W before you can consider it.

The system probably won't overheat underload as long as your not OC'ing.
    March 16, 2009 4:44:14 PM

thx for the reply.

i will not be using hybrid boost as it is not supported for the 9800 GT.

did the hybrid SLI power work when you had that active? (i.e. did it turn your 9800 off when you where not playing a game)
    Related resources
    March 16, 2009 5:39:34 PM

would recommend a GTS 250 over the 9800gt since they will run cooler and thus (most of the time) should come with a slower and quieter GPU and RAM fan.
    March 16, 2009 5:54:22 PM

hybrid SLI is however not supported on the GTS 250. GTX 260 is out of my budget. I am also trying to avoid dual PCI slots.

what excites me about this system is, if it works correctly, is that i could turn off the graphics card completely when not playing games without having to unplug anything.
    March 17, 2009 11:14:23 AM

i just realised that hybrid power is not supported in the 9300. It supports hybrid boost but not power.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli_desktop.html

i am going to have to wait for a mini-itx motherboard which supports hybrid power and has a pci-express X16 slot.
    March 17, 2009 12:49:19 PM

I think NVIDIA killed or at least put hybrid power on hold, you might waiting awhile unless some resurrects the 8000 series chipset for a new itx board.
    March 19, 2009 4:01:26 AM

Hybrid Power isn't available for the 9000 series chipsets (Intel), but is should still be for the 8000 series if you don't mind switching to AMD. It looks like the Phenom II's are pretty good and they SHOULD be supported on the 8000 boards. Maybe you can go that route, but it doesn't look like any of the ITX boards have an x16 slot so you might have to go to Micro ATX to get hybrid power.
    !