brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So recently I've been experiencing several BSODs (error codes 0x0000004e, 0x0000001a, 0x00000050) all of which have been in some way related to "memory"... which unfortunately, as many of you will know, can refer to about 172 things on a computer : P At first I thought it might be my ram (6gb OCZ reaper -- 2x2gb sticks, 2x1gb sticks), but running tests, I have found no errors. And then I turned to my HDDs which I have been told could have sent bad code to the ram causing it to blue screen. So here's my main problem:

I downloaded 2 programs, Acronis Drive Monitor and Seagate's SeaTools for windows. Seagate said all of my drives pass all of the tests I ran it through (SMART and the Long Drive Self Test), but Acronis says that that drive (ST31500341AS) is at 48% health... what should I do?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is the system in question the one you reference in your sig? If so, are you OCing anything? You are really pushing it on your PSU with the comps you have stuffed into your beast (nice rig). You might want to consider a stronger PSU in the future.

How are you on heat and airflow? If Seagate's tools say you are okay, then you are likely okay. More likely, you have a different issue going on here.

I would look at setting everything to default levels (GPU, CPU, and memory to 1333) to see if it stabilizes. If it does, I would look at bumping the CPU and GPU back up, but would leave the memory at 1333. OCing memory really doesn't do as much as folks might think and can lead to an unstable system.

Last, make sure all of your drivers are up to date as well. May not fix anything, but won't hurt either.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Thank you for the advice. The only thing I have OC'd at the moment is my GPU. I liquid cooled it over the summer and let ATI's overdrive auto tune it and it's almost maxed out. But it stays a WHOLE lot cooler than when it was air cooled (and quieter : D). I'll try setting it back down to stock and mess with that, but I think I will invest in a better PSU soon.