LinusMCE Core Case

taylorjes

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I'm just getting interesting building a "smart home" system (smart home is arguable). I would like to build my own system and I'm planning on using LinuxMCE. From a software standpoint I think I'm well covered, however on the hardware end I'm still a noob...

I've built my own PC, but what I need for this system is specialized (and budget is a concern)...

I need a "core" system computer running LinuxMCE, the recommended system is:
- brute strength multitasking CPU (64bit)
- dual NIC mobo
- "fast" HD for constant load/unload
- no sound
- integrated graphics
- DVD
* possible upgrade slots for a security system integration * (tuner card/???)
* other suggestions

I also need to build a "media director"
- HTPC with limited resources needed
- does not need a large HD (I have an existing NAS)
- ability to integrate my home theater audio system

please visit www.linuxmce.org if you need clarification..

thanks in advanced

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I need a "core" system computer running LinuxMCE, the recommended system is:
- brute strength multitasking CPU (64bit)
- dual NIC mobo
- "fast" HD for constant load/unload
- no sound
- integrated graphics
- DVD
* possible upgrade slots for a security system integration * (tuner card/???)
* other suggestions
Since you're going with Linux, for integrated graphics you'll have to pick between Intel G45 and GeForce9300 for chipset if going with Intel. (unfortunately AMD graphics aren't as suited to Linux) Dual NIC mobo are almost exclusive to ATX and not mATX so more likely hood of picking a mobo based on G45 in ATX.
A low powered dualcore Core2Duo like E7200 will be more than enough unless you plan to run multiple server tasks (or even virtual machines), then Q9400 would be more suitable.

As for your HTPC build. I'm a lot more familiar with Windows and AMD platform has the advantage in this area, but as said before is not suited to Linux.
If you decide to build a HTPC box based on Windows then I can certainly give you plenty of inputs.