Overclocking E6600

TheFamous

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey!

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40Ghz 65nm 4MB CPU that I want to overclock to about 3-3.2 GHz. And I'm new to overclocking so I'm not 100% sure about what I need to have in mind to know how much I can overclock my CPU(how much my system can handle)

These are my specifications:

-Memory: 2xCorsair 1GB DDR2 667MHz + Corsair 2GB DDR2 667MHz

-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40Ghz 65nm 4MB

-Motherboard: MSI P6N SLi Plantium

And some deeper specifications about my CPU in the form of pictures:
Core Tempature:
a0evza.png

I'm not sure but that looks awfully high?
By the way, I was not running any other programs other than my anti-virus program and Core Temp.

CPU specs:
xc2jxw.png

More CPU specs:
14bhs79.png

Memory specs:
20j24qu.png

Questions:

1.Would I need to get a cooling system for my CPU if I would overclock it?
2.How much does it look like from my specifications that I could overclock my CPU?

Apart from that I'm really just looking for some hints and tips! :)

Thanks in advance TheFamous.

Your CPU temperatures are much too high, what does the BIOS health monitor show the temperatures as after you have been running at full load for a while? You need to find out what the true temperatures are before you begin to overclock.

TheFamous

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Something just camp up. Since the CPU temperature was so high I decided to get the HSF of and blow some dust of it and install it back again. OK, so I did that and plugged everything in BUT after about a minute or so my computer shut down without warnings.

Does that mean that my CPU is fried?
Or did I install the HSF incorrectly on? (Pretty sure I didn't)
Or what could be the problem?

TheFamous

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Small update:

I reseted the BIOS (even thought I don't recall making any changes to it) and managed to get my computer running for a little while. So I loaded up CoreTemp to check out my core temp and what I saw was that it didn't even show the temperature for one of the core's and the one that it did show the temperature for was at 80°.. :S

Also one other question:
Could this have harmed any other components?

yes it other componet over heating maybe less than 2years you must buy New
this max temp for other component :
CPU : 70 C
CORE : 65C (Stock Cooler) 57C (HSF / overclocking above 4Ghz)
VGA 100~128 (Nvidia) for Boil Egg
all component Mobo : 90~112
HDD temp : Max 50 ... 47C still Ok
check your temp1, temp 2 temp 3 if under my list All Ok, no problem
Temp1 : CPU , Temp2 : Mobo, Temp3: Nortbridge
your Oc can run 4Ghz with HSF Overclocking see: Noctua,SunBeam not Stock Cooling

The CPU should throttle back its clock to prevent damage to your CPU. Your CPU is overheating though, you can’t have fitted the heatsink correctly. Before you begin overclocking you must sort this problem out.

First, if you removed the heatsink, you need to clean off the old thermal compound and add more. And you need to be sure that the heatsink is installed properly.

Second, the practical limit for the stock cooler is about 3.0 GHz. Anything more will require better cooling.

Third, you have a higher than average VID. VID is sort of the "stock" voltage that the CPU programs the motherboard power regulator to produce. Lower is better. Lower gives you more overclocking headroom. Average is around 1.26 volts. That .06 volts will make a big difference.

Fourth, there is absolutely no way you are going to come anywhere near 4.0 GHz.

Now, here's what you can do ...

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. If you are at a stock 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz before you start increasing your FSB frequency.

You want a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio.

Additional note - you have an nVidia 650i chipset. nVidia chipsets overclock differently. From a previous post:
Overclocking 680i/780i chipsets:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260721-29-overclocking-help#t1882721

Keep vcore under 1.5 volts and your load temps under 70 C.

xCopyrightPvP

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
So, I have that processor too, and I overclocked it from 2.4 GHz to 3.06 GHz.

My solution would be to check what your temperatures are, and if they're more than 50 C at idle that's not good, so try to lower them if you can, but that would probably slow your processor down, so don't do that.

Another thing you can do is try a different cooler so you can get higher overclock and still run at optimal temperature.

Maybe you can't afford a different cooler, so try using stock cooler, even though that's probably a doom for overclocking.