New to Building a Computer

G

I was trying to save some money by purchasing AMD products. I'm looking for a computer that will be able to run a bunch of programs without slowing down too much. Is it worth buying an AMD quad core or should I buy intel?

What's your budget? What is the intended use of the computer? ("run a bunch of programs without slowing down too much" doesn't count.) How can you expect anyone to give any meaningful advice without a little information?

G

I'm not sure what I want and I don't know what I'm looking for. Basically I want a fast computer under $1000 including the monitor. I randomly run games, use it for mostly work (which includes word processing). I just want to know if for a home computer that I want to run fast is it worth using AMD products. I'm not doing any form of graphics, imaging, or video editing.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Yes indeed, list EXACTLY what you will be doing and your budget.

Edit: we posted at the same time...

A dual core will do everything you need and it will do it well... So... do you want a quad because you can afford it, or do you want the most power for $1000. Randomly run games isn't very descriptive, what kind of games?

G

$900 including monitor

- Play Starcraft II
- Type documents in word
- Burn DVDs
- Burn CDs
- Use Excel
- Watch movies
- Surf the internet
- Stream videos
- Possibly not turn the computer off for a couple days
- Play a game called M.U.G.E.N. possibly