Hard Disk Benchmarking

Firstly, I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place.

My question is related to SATA Hard Disk benchmarking, the numbers various tools give me and whether I should be concerned.

The spec of both PCs are below:
PC1:
Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (Not overclocked)
Asus StrikerExtreme (680i Nvidia Chipset)
6x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (ST3320620AS) connected via RAID-5 to the onboard RAID controller.
2x PATA DVD+RW Drives
Running Windows XP SP3 x32

PC2:
Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (Not overclocked)
Asus P5Q (P45 Intel Chipset - ICH9R RAID?)
4x Maxtor 250GB (5400RPM I think) connected via RAID-5 to the onboard RAID controller.
2x PATA CD+RW Drives
Running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

My concern is the numbers I've gotten back from ATTO against what HDTune tell me.

I'm primarily concerned about the 1st PC more than the 2nd (as the 2nd is currently in storage).

ATTO gives me the following:
(Set to C:, 0.5 -> 8192kb Transfer Size, Total Length 256MB, Queue Length 4)

HDTach gives me the following:

(Quick Bench - 8mb zones)

(Long Bench - 32mb zones)

I also tried IOMeter and HDTune. IOMeter agrees with ATTO and HDTune agrees with HDTach.

So given all that - which one of these tools is 'right', which one should I use?
The more important question is - Are the figures above 'about right' for the setup I have?

The 2nd PC wasn't much different in it's result either, but I checked that quickly before it went into storage - just to compare 2 different Mobos/Chipsets, seeing whether it was just my nForce mobo that is possibly an issue.

Nev
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk benchmarking
  1. For benchmarking, i use HDTach. Its a bit surprising that in RAID5 you are getting 95MB/s. That is how much i get on my WD Caviar Black on normal.
  2. Surprising in what way?
    In the way that my drives seem to work much better than I thought?

Nev
  3. I have not used RAID5, so I don't know what are the average read speeds are for it. I meant that my WD Caviar Black gives around 90MB/s to 95MB/s without RAID. So yours should at least deliver a little bit more speed. Shouldn't it? Get this confirmed first.
  4. In the right circumstances, RAID-5 can give a boost to speeds over that of a single disk.

However, I do know (from reading this forum) that WD Caviar Black are like THE disk to have for performance (other than an SSD), whereas mine are not WD Blacks.

So it's possible that mine - on their own (without RAID) would be lower in MB/s than your single WD Black, but in RAID, it makes them comparable - possibly?

Nev
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage