dhere123

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hello,
I recently replaced the fans on my monsoon II heat sink with two new 120 mm case fans. SO now the fans are powered driectly by the PS as apposed to mother board directly. Upon reinstalling everything I turned on the PC only to have it shut off a minute later and restart, it ran for another minute shut off and now wont even enter POST. My question is does this mother board need a fan plugged into the CPU_Fan controller on the board to boot, or did I just break my board while handling it? Thanks in advance for your help.

dhere123

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
OK, will give that a shot, would a person need to reset the CMOS settings? Also, I assume they make mother board fan connectors that mate with the normal case fan 4 pin connectors even though I have never seen one. Is this something readily available from say like Newegg, any help with search phrase. Thanks again!

I have a GA-X58-UD5(not the same, but similar from a specs standpoint.) and it runs fine without the cpu fan plugged into the board(this was during some tests.)

Resetting the cmos may be worth a try. Make sure your memory is seated properly(remove and reinsert).

Are you sure there is nothing under the board grounding it, this can cause many an issue.

Do you get any beep codes?

dhere123

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
The fact that I made it into windows two times made me sceptical about needing a fan plugged into the mother board, but Gygabyte's Technical department also told me I needed it plugged in?

I currently have the board out of the case so grounding shouldn't be an issue. I cannot state whether or not I damaged the board while doing the initial mods. I have tried two different power supplies and two different know good graphics cards and I still fail to even make it to POST. Again, not sure if anything in hardware, aside from board and CPU can keep you from at least starting POST???

Also, does anyone know if this board has a built in thermal shutdown for the processor? I can't recall if I had the fans on the first time I kicked it off with the new fans, I do remember thinking what are the odds that heat sink will get too hot. Again its a Monsoon II so its a heck of a chunk of aluminum.....

I don't currently have beep codes, the case I have doesnt have a speaker. Just ordered one off the web, so will get that info shortly. Thanks for your help!

The cpu should have a built in thermal overload that will shut it off before damage.

If the memory is bad, the board will also not post. Thats why it is best to try just one stick. The manual may tell you what slot to use. On my board i can not use the first slot alone or it does not post. I have to go

Code:
slots
0 1 2 3 4 5
   x    x    x   ->slot 2,3,5

if i go
0 1 2 3 4 5 
x    x   x  ->slot 0,2,4

then get no post. You may have a similar setup.