Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange BIOS/OC/RAM Issues

Last response: in Overclocking
November 3, 2010 3:26:58 PM

These issues might not be strange to you guys, but they are to me. Let me preface by stating that I am fairly noob when it comes to OC as I have only done it with my current machine.

So, the story goes I need an upgrade so I got a new video card, psu, hdd, ram, and i think that's everything.
I go to apply the stable OC's that were on the old system only to get BSODs (instead of just re-boots because of unstable OC's). Most of them said they were memory related, but im not sure how accurate they are. The only way to get my system to boot after the blue screens, was to either re-seat the memory in its current slots or move them to adjacent dual-channel use slots, and of course load optimal defaults from bios.

So, after getting it booted up, I run prime 95 all night (blended test) and get no errors of any kind, so im fairly confident in my new memory. I decide to try and apply one of the preset mobo OC settings (in the case of the Biostar tp43d2-a7 i applied the "V-8" OC engine). Here comes the blue screen and the process starts over.

I got the latest bios from Biostar's website. I tried using the old hdd that had the original BIOS, with the same results. I am basically unable to change a thing in BIOS, and it seems to be RAM related. A co-worker thinks my mobo is going bad which doesnt sound out of the question at all.

ill try my best with system specs:

win 7 ultimate
2x2gb Patriot ddr2 800 memory 1.9 volts 5 5 5 12
e7200
samsung spintpoint f3 hdd
ASUS ATI hd 5770
corsair 650 psu
Biostar tp43d2-a7 ver 6.0 mobo

Thanks for any input.. I know, I need a new mobo to test, but i dont have one within reach atm.

Best solution

November 3, 2010 3:34:56 PM

The strange thing is, these problems really only started after he changed hard drives, with his old hard drive and the new memory, it was stable, he puts in the spinpoint and BSOD's all day. We decided that it could be unrelated though.
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 4, 2010 8:48:35 AM

OC via Auto overclock V8,... you must OC via manual don't auto you can do anything run OC above 4Ghz, your BSOD becaused Vcore not enough volt,
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 9:01:22 AM

If you purchased new RAM, try manually overclocking it until it's unstable, find the highest stable frequency and then manuall OC the CPU. Your old OC settings may not work with your new RAM.
m
l
November 4, 2010 12:14:05 PM

henydiah,
The auto overclock was only a test, everything was OC'ed manually. Can you tell me why it would blue screen, and then fail to even boot after it was changed back, instead of just not allowing the OC because it is unstable?
This is my problem. I dont mind a blue screen if when i re-load optimal defaults the blue screen goes away. However, i have to physically re-seat my memory sticks if i want it to boot up. Why?

dvijay,
I can try this, but im pretty sure what i described above will happen every time.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 5, 2010 3:44:25 AM

increase your Vcore untill you can boot, if boot sukses but win not seem or hang so... increase your Vdim ,
another way : clear CMOS, load deafult , uninstall anything software cause OC it will default GPU &CPU, OC again via BIOS step by step, increase FSB step by step untill BSOD. Check massge BSOD he want Vcore or VDIM...
m
l
November 11, 2010 12:09:59 PM

Ok, so to test my theory I went into BIOS and simply changed Intel SpeedStep Tech to 'Disabled' (this allows the multiplier to be changed). This was the only thing that I changed, booted up and got BSOD. I've confirmed that making any change in my BIOS no matter what will cause the machine to crash on boot.

I re-seated the memory, and it booted up just fine as has been the case.

I tried manually adjusting the RAM timings to the specs on the package, but as I said it doesn't seem to matter what I change in BIOS, the machine will BSOD.
m
l
November 19, 2010 12:05:02 PM

Tom wants me to choose a best answer, but I can't find one.
m
l
November 19, 2010 12:05:28 PM

Best answer selected by maw230.
m
l
!