A classic Win98SE issue...

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Hi guys,
Here is an issue that I am having only when I boot into my Win98SE partition... I know that online there are tons of articles and how-tos to solve my problem, but I would like to know what did work for you guys, without having to install patches that won't work and adding registry strings that willl only slow it down...
Ok so here's the problem:
When I need to use Win98SE I cannot restart the unit... it freezes on the clouded screen and I have to manually reset... which bothers me particularly also because my new Antec case requires a thin object to do so...

pls let me know what worked for you...
thnx in advance

Treppiede

A television may insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in
like a computer.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SE always had shutdown problem, even patch does not help. I am using ME instead of SE, shutdown takes about 3-4 seconds and never had problem yet. In yer case reinstalling would be the best bet, it takes about an hour to get all stuff running (in my case it takes 6 minutes with the Ghost).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I wish it was that guys, but I format every couple of months, and guess what... last format took place 10 days ago... and since the beginning it had that issue... so I cannot even say that after installing a determined piece of software all the chaos happened....
It shuts down fine, it just won't RESTART!!!

thnx for any help guys...

like a computer.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
What motherboard do you have? Do you have to install any drivers for it? That might be the problem.

I have an Asus A7V133. After I clean install Windows, I install those 4-in-1 drivers (most current 4.34), then graphics, sound, and NIC (if applicable). Then, I go to Windows Update and install all critical patches. Then, I burn an image of this onto a CD using Drive Image so you don't have to go through that mess when you choke it. I didn't even install the Windows 98SE shutdown fix. My machine restarts fine. Even after I install all of my apps (MS Office, Norton Antivirus, Winamp, Hotline Client, Morpheus, etc.), I can still restart just fine.

I'm sorry if I got wordy, but that method has saved me quite some time. (Thanks to Fred Langa for his suggestion <A HREF="http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2001/03.htm" target="_new">here</A>.) I guess it comes down to the motherboard, too. Make sure it's BIOS is updated, plus if there are drivers needed for it, make sure that they're installed as well.

Does that help any? :eek:

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

You don't have to re-format to re-install. If it won't "re-start", it's a memory address issue. That is, the correct (trying hard to remember his computer architecture course) interrupt is being missed along the way.

I'd go with re-install, or double chack all BIOS stuff (just in case).

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q202/6/33.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Why won't my computer re-start when I ask it to?&rnk=47&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE" target="_new">Link 1</A>

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q232/9/15.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=restart.&rnk=31&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE" target="_new">Link 2</A>

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Thnx for the help guys...
I have an ASUS CUSL2-C with the latest BIOS version (1009)... and yes, I have one driver missing in my device manager, as I already posted in the mobo section...
I cannot find the PCI System managment Bus drivers, and the inf update didn't work... (which is the first thing I installed after win98se setup finished...
well... I'll keep trying, actually I will re-format and create an image, good idea...
uhm... I'll let you know, but if any of you guys have another idea let me know, It'll take me at least one more week before I start to re-format...

thnx

like a computer.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Possible. ACPI and power management issues also come to mind. yes, check your BIOS settings... Reset and load your default values and see what happens. make sure ACPI is enabled.

G

Do you have a Ethnet card(NIC)? if you do, try on the other one. it should work.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i would disable the ACPI, whatever it is, its not meant for desktops. many of my problems are solved once i disable ACPI! try the win98se shutdown patch from microsft, that updates some ACPI drivers. did work for me for a while, but it started again!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS