How to overclock amd athlon 7850 black edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightshade616

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hello, I have read a few Threads on this CPU but non of them have really helped me at all. I am very experienced with Computers, but i have never overclocked before. and this would be a great chance to learn how to do so!

Here is some specs & Temperatures From CPU-Z and SpeedFan 4.42

AMD Athlon 7850 BE (19C)
Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
DDR2 Duel 4096MBytes (31C)
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1024MBytes (45C)
1TB HDD (29C)

I Would like to overclock this CPU, I have read that it is possible to overclock this CPU to a stable 3.1 GHz .. Stock is 2.8GHz this seems like a perfectly good overclock to me. My build works well for games i can run most my games on Medium/High and RTS games on UltraHigh But the CPU does let me down on FPS games. Overclocking it should give me a little bit extra juice.

Money is a problem so please don't suggest buying a new part for anything. I know what build i really want. I just cannot build it at this time. so What i have will have to do. and if there is anything else i can do to it then i will :D

I've had a look into my Bios and can find no settings at all for Multipliers or Voltage or anything. If someone knows how to overclock my CPU on this Motherboard please Respond!!

thanks you in advance!
-Kyle

I havent overlocked an AMD proc before (only intel sad I know) but since yours is a Black edition chip you just need to raise the multiplier by 1,2 or 3 notches and you will be at or around 3.1Ghz, if it becomes unstable you will need a add a little voltage to the CPU. I would reccommend stress testing it with Prime95 to check for stability

dvijaydev46

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
A simple multiplier adjustment will do the trick. If needed, increase the core voltage a little bit. Do you have an aftermarket cooler? If not, better get one or else stay away from overclocking. Your CPU is a 65nm part and that can become a power guzzler if you overclock it.

nightshade616

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thank you guys for your reply.

I did have more research on the internet before your replies and actually over clocked it from 2.8 to 3.1 by changing the multiplier to 15.5 and I did not need to increase the power at all. And the temperature is sitting around 28-32C so that's no change at all!

Very pleased with my results. This will keep me happy until I get my phenom II x4 955 and over clock that :p

Congrats. Nice that you didnt need a voltage change

nightshade616

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah i eventually came across how to find that key combination :p

Thanks anyway! its good to know this forum has answers so i will definitely be sticking around!

If i may ask another question. My ram says its running only at 800 when its 1600mhz ram.. Is this not running at full speed?

Or is this a common misconception because DDR2 is 800*2 = 1600
but when it comes up in BIOS it only displays it as 800 but it is really 1600?

DDR2 ram doesnt go up to 1600Mhz, DDR3 would. DDR2 maxes out at 1200Mhz. You can download CPU-Z and click on memory. Here is why DDR2 ram would look like

Memtab.jpg

Notice how it says Channels Dual and Speed 400Mhz, that mean 400*2=800Mhz, which is my RAM's speed (PC2-6400)
SPDTab.jpg

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
AMD BE's are so easy to overclock i love it, you can go all out and work with the Vcore and BCL but really all you need to do is bump the Multi up

dujus

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi guys,
I also have Athlon Dual Core 7850,but I have Asus G-Surf mobo.
I have that Tweaker in BIOS and only there I have options for overclocking my CPU,and there I can't find any multiplier.
Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS