4890 scores up to 15 percent better with DX10.1

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13059&Itemid=1

XFX is bundling Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X game with its HD 4890 cards, and this game is one of the big titles that feature support for DirectX 10.1.

Sanjin was kind enough to include this game in many benchmarks he run and he found out that XFX 4890 with DirectX 10.1 enabled scores a lot of frames than without it.

At 2560x1600, without DirectX 10.1 the card scores 45 FPS. With DirectX 10.1 the same card at the same resolution scores 51FPS.

At 1920x1200 without AA and without DirectX 10.1 it scores 62FPS while with DirectX 10.1 enabled the same game scores 70 FPS. The same resolution but with AA and without DirectX 10.1 XFX scores 48 FPS while with DirectX 10.1 enabled it scores whopping 57 FPS. We are talking about 10 to 15 percent difference which is a lot.

With Nvidia cards, none of which have support for DirectX 10.1 there is no option to turn this feature on in the game. It took ATI long enough but at least with this title they made a huge difference with its ability to support DirectX 10.1

well we start to see some DX10.1 benchmarks and nvidia are fcuked

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I highly doubt nvidia is fu**ed.

By the time 10.1 is utilized by more or most developers the d3d11 cards will be released by both nvidia and ati.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Another proof how nVidia is selfish and doesnt care. By not implementing DX10.1, MOST of the game developers doesnt bother to put it in their games because of compatibility issues. No body is bothering if only half or 1/3 of the gamers will have that feature.

If nVidia had included 10.1 then now would have been much more games with DX10.1 support, I can guarantee you. Its just nVidia's greed that prevented them.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I think its more laziness on their part. Look at how long they sat on the 8800 series milking it.

And I think its also no different than when ATI decided to do SM 2.0b instead of SM 3.0
for its X800 series.

Sure Nvidia has had "several" new lines since it was introduced, but they were mostly re-brandings with little work done to them. And yes they could have added support for it with G92 and G200, but we go back to laziness or at least an unwillingness to spend the money needed to do it.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
So im assuming that when dx11 comes out ati previous 3-4 series of cards will have a good advantage over nvidia's because of supporting dx10.1. Next thing you you no the 4870 surpasses the gtx285.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
After the H.A.W.X. article, we had to dig a bit deeper to find that H.A.W.X is just one of three games that ATI wants to market as a DirectX 10.1 title. All three games should benefit from DirectX 10.1 and two out of three are already a part of Top 20 UK PC games chart.

As we already wrote, you can get up to a 15 percent performance boost with DirectX 10.1 in H.A.W.X. and according to the video at Youtube, you can get up to 30 percent in some titles, for example Stormrise and Battleforge. This video is done by ATI so take that 30 percent claim with a grain of salt, as they claim higher gains in H.A.W.X than those which we got during our testing. In any case, even if the gain is not 30, but rather 15 percent, it's still a great result and a great win for ATI.

Two out of three ATI DirectX 10.1 loving games are already a part of Top 20 UK PC games chart. Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. is currently fifth while Battleforge has the 20th position and is yet to show its potential.

We couldn't see any graphics improvement on that video, but the performance gain is measured with FRAPS so we guess that ATI HD 3000 and 4000 series are really faster in those titles. Maybe we will see the start of The Way Its Meant To Be Gained thing from AMD now.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13068&Itemid=1

Problem is, its been over 2 years, and nVidias done nothing. The real original DX10 had DX10.1 included, but nVidia HW at the time didnt do it. The jumped the gun and "created" their DX10 cards with the G80, which was obviously incapable of doing the full DX10. That was Nov 06, Vista launched, what, 1 07? We could all have better gaming experience, or higher fps if nVidia had decided to change their HW. At any time this could have happened over the 2+ years, but nVidia declined.
To me it isnt your favorite color or brand of gfx card we should cling to, but more a desire for the best gaming experience we can have, but nVidia has denied us alot of that. It was their concious decision to do what they did, now its starting to bite em where its meant to be played

Heres the problem nVidia faces. Most new games made from here on will do DX10.1 or DX11. All the current nVidia cards will suffer from this 15% loss in all those games. Itll vary from game to game, but Ive seen more than 15% and a lil less, but its a good average, and may get higher as time goes by. Now, try telling your customers you need to buy a new card to get these fps increases, or, keep pushing physx, nVidia has put their customers up against it once again, tho if youre currently happy, who cares, until these changes take shape

Heres my reasoning. DX10 took forever because we saw a new OS needed for it. That OS (Vista) suffered from driver support, just as every (as in, not concurrent but every other, skipping in between) other M$ OS has, because of changes requiring new drivers. Those drivers are done, or the SW has caught up with the OS, and with the intro of W7, whichll be totally complint with Vista drivers, its all set to go. Remember, the biggest driver problem for Vista was nVidias driver problems.
So, we have a new OS, but no new need for new drivers. The current W7 beta drivers from ATI are doing better on W7 than on Vista in some games already.
Now, transcend that to the devs. DX11 is a superset of DX10, so again, same things happening. XP is losing traction in the OS wars big time, and W7 will hasten it, or as SS said, snowball effect all the way down the line

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
People who refused to move to Vista and stayed on XP systems (DX9) should be paying attention to this... Windows 7 is on it's way, and it's looking more and more like the time to finally upgrade from XP is coming.

My question is, will the current generation of cards be DX11 capable/compatible, slightly future-proof even? If not, what's the point in buying any of them at present, especially the expensive ones, if we'll need to replace them in about a year or so?

Thats really what this threads about. Having DX10.1 gives some of the performance effects we will see on DX11 also, which current ATI cards can and will ,using DX11 have/do. nVidia, by not supporting DX10.1 wont see these fps improvements with their cards, since theyre not DX10.1 compliant, and also wont be seen on DX11 as well

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Why won't they be seen in the DX 11?

If I read right, DX 11, will include all features, and have extras. Backwards compatibility or w.e.

DX 10.1 is just a slight bump above DX 10, which can be beneficial in some cases, but Hawx is the first game we're seeing that, has some very large number differences. Though I would've liked to see what the 285 GTX could do with its higher Vram.

And I think there is a way of emulating DX 10.1 as shown in FC2.

DX11 compliant cards will. I think you misread my intentions. Current nVidia cards wont. It was a response to this
"My question is, will the current generation of cards be DX11 capable/compatible, slightly future-proof even? If not, what's the point in buying any of them at present, especially the expensive ones, if we'll need to replace them in about a year or so? "
The FC2 emulation isnt the better fps part, more the functional part, which is another part of DX10.1, which is also in ATI cards, but nVidias dont include the free 4AA , and isnt fully DX10.1 compliant.
As for the 285, itll never match the 4890 with DX10.1 enabled, its too slow without it

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
jaydee, based on what you've said about the problem with Vista DX10 drivers in the past from nVIDIA and what you're saying now about problems with them performing in DX11, isn't nVIDIA essentially recycling the same old bag of tricks? With nVIDIA having the greater GPU market share, why would developers move to DX11 if the majority of cards out there can't even use it?

Seems like nVIDIA's been asleep at the wheel, but do to their size and market share, developers are more keen to sleep beside them in order to sell their titles than they are to leave them behind and look for new bedfellows in AMD/ATI and DX10.1 and DX11.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
mayb I miss read you, but the line was looking at was:

"nVidia, by not supporting DX10.1 wont see these fps improvements with their cards, since theyre not DX10.1 compliant, and also wont be seen on DX11 as well"

Lets hope we see these coming, this is the first game, that actually got a benefit. So I want to see more.

I think p/p wise ATI won again, offerin ga longer lasting card.

I still think DX 11 will be alot better than 10 and 10.1 ever were, if the articles I read are true:D

That cards already been played. Its been almost a year with DX10.1 games out, or since the first sp1 for Vista. With a brand new OS on the horizon, one which wont have those driver probs etc is just another nugde forwards.
Besides, whats not been mentioned here is Intels entry into the gpu market. And yes, theyll do DX10.1 when they make their first Larrabee, so nVidia wont have the clout they had, ever again,period

I wouldnt be surprised if TWIMTBP team will go the way of the dinosaur, as with Intels entry, the combining of the way DX10 (supposedly) and DX11 is trying to push for a more uniformed delivery, those "special" TWIMTBP type scenarios will be fewer in number, and its another reason why I think nVidia is pushing its Physx so hard, to maintain that lead, or, exclusivity, but as for that, theres other options as well, which both ATI and Intel appear will be using

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
ATI honestly has been pressing forward ever since there 3xxx series and Nvidia has been milking the 8xxx series for a while. ATI has an advantage for DX 11. not to mention they have HAVOK which Blizzard is suporting in there new games which will be huge win for ati.