Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hello.... :hello:
I'm looking for a 2tb internal SATA HDD but i'm not sure whether to go with 5400rpm one or 7200rpm. I'm gonna use it for every possible purpose like to play good quality games and to store & watch good quaity videos, etc etc etc

I'm looking for pretty good performance & a drive with good speed. :bounce:

I am thinking to go with SAMSUNG as its service centre is very near in Chandigarh, India (where i live) and I've heard that their hard drives are also nice in performance.
I may go with some other good brand but its service centre needs to be local ie. in chandigarh.

So, please please please help me to get a good HDD as soon as possible. :ange:
One more thing, it's gonna be a gift for me from my sister & she currently lives in London, UK. So, she is going to purchase it from London. If that makes any difference!!

Solution
It does not make any difference to performance, but definitely does to the price. I would suggest getting the WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB. Don't get the 5400RPKM drives they are quite slow.

Also you would have warranty issues. WD doesn't offer global coverage. So its better to get it from Chandigarh.
Samsung Spinpoint is a very good line, and you want to go with 7200 rpm unless you are very worried about noise. There is some evidence that 5400 drives are more reliable, but in my view, all drives should be expected to fail at some point, a .01 % less or greater chance won't make much difference.

It does not make any difference to performance, but definitely does to the price. I would suggest getting the WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB. Don't get the 5400RPKM drives they are quite slow.

Also you would have warranty issues. WD doesn't offer global coverage. So its better to get it from Chandigarh.

Solution

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

so can you post a link for a samsung 2tb SATA 7200rpm HDD with a good speed....??
I'm asking for this because i couldn't find any Samsung 2tb HDD woth 7200 rpm :(

They may not have any in that size, since you asked I if Samsung was a good brand to get I thought you checked already for the model you wanted. I think the drives you want to avoid are Maxtor and Seagate, they seem to have the lowest reliability scores. Not that they fail a lot, just more than WD and Samsung. And the failure rate is also very dependant on the model. For example Seagate enterprise class drives may have higher reliability that WD enterprise drives.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
yea...i was sure looking for samsung HDD but i couldnt find any Samsung 2tb HDD with 7200rpm they only had 2tb HDD in 5400rpm, as per their official website but if i'm missing any model with 2tb & 7200rpm then please let me know about it.

And also does anyone know if SAMSUNG offer any global coverage or not like hell_storm mentioned????? :sweat:

PC products are regional. So i don't think they would cover it. Just try one thing. Create an account in amazon.com. Try to buy one with your Chandigarh address, if they deliver it to your house. Then it is covered. Otherwise, you would get an error on the address page of the order flow. Then you would know if it is covered or not.

Just ask your sis to give you the cash and get it from a local shop! :)

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
okay....so i looked for Western Digital HDD's as per hell_storm advice but their Caviar Black range seems to be pretty expensive as compared to caviar green range which is quite affordable for me.

Now, the main competition is b/w WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EARS (2TB, 64mb cache) & SAMSUNG HD204UI Spinpoint F4EG (2TB, 32mb cache), both of them are almost near in price.
BUT i heard about LLC & TLER/CCTL issues with western digital caviar green series & i dont have any idea how much big those problems are and i'm using WINDOWS 7 if that makes any difference.

AND i really want a stable drive with a VERY LONG LIFE.....so, even if someone would suggest me to just go with 1TB OR 1.5TB HDD's instead of 2TB HDD's because of stabality & long life I would sure consider that suggestion.

Now, please someone help me to make choice for which drive to buy...!!
many many thanx in advance

If you use 4 500gig drives you'll be even more reliable.

Or 20 100 gig drives are even safer :)

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hmmm....both of you are right in your opinions but i was suggested by my friend that I should buy 1tb or 1.5tb (which one ever is more realiable) as 1TB or 1.5TB is not so much low when compared to what i'm currently using 250GB right now.

so, kindly suggest me which one will be better 1tb or 1.5tb & which brand and model as well.
Also, keep in mind about the LLC & TLER issues.

What's your budget in INR?

If your first drive was 10gig, you are a youngster :p

My first hard drive was a 20 MB one.

Before that I used the good ol' floppy swap to run anything.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
okay......so is it the best available SAMSUNG HDD in 1TB or is there any other available model which is more cooler than that in the same brand, & what about the WD one's Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX or Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hey.....guys, :hello:
i was randomly looking at the WD site & i found this :
http://websupport.wdc.com/help/help_ooreligibility.asp

so, it looks like i would get some sort of warranty even if i'm out of region! :wahoo:
so i think i will go with the western digital brand..!!

so, can u please help me to choose a nice 1TB WD model.
whether to go with WD1002FAEX or WD1001FALS & if there any other nice & more realible model kindly suggest me that
any help would be appreciated...!! :)