Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2010 4:27:28 PM

I have a hard drive that I reformatted. It is being used to hold only data ie, pictures, documents, etc. I removed it from the original computer and installed it in another computer. The new computer sees the hard drive in the bios, in control panel's device manager, tweak ui, even under My Computer_manage disks dialog box, it does not show up under my computer though and cannot be read. It does power up.

More about : hard drive

a c 96 G Storage
October 5, 2010 5:15:21 PM

Go into Disk Management and manually assign a drive letter to see if that fixes your issue. Good luck!
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 5, 2010 5:33:01 PM

Start up the Disk Management tool (Start -> Right-click "Computer", select "Manage" -> click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

Find your drive in the LOWER portion of the right pane. What does it show there? If it shows as unallocated space then you need to right-click it to and partition and format the drive. If it shows as a formatted partition but without a drive letter then you need to right-click it and assign a drive letter.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2010 7:42:15 PM

COLGeek said:
Go into Disk Management and manually assign a drive letter to see if that fixes your issue. Good luck!

In Disk Management the only info it has for the drive is dynamic disk, foreign. If I right click it I get 3 options: convert to basic disk/properties/help. How do I assign a drive letter?
m
l
a c 96 G Storage
October 5, 2010 7:45:57 PM

Convert the disk. You will then be asked to format the drive. Letter assignment will follow as well.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 6, 2010 2:21:26 AM

^ +1
m
l
!