Can you "Under Clock" a cpu?

drumorgan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
I know it sounds weird, but is there any way to under clock a cpu? From what I've been hearing, my cpu is stuck in cool & quiet mode and I can't run it at 100% because it overheats even with brand new thermal paste. My heatsink is good and so are my fans. It just started running hot one day. I'll put a link to the other post if you guys have any idea about it!

Thanks,
Dru

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292844-28-processors-fine#t2193268

I guess I should read the rules. Thread got closed because I bumped =/ Sorry about that.

Solution
1) Clear CMOS, restore factory defaults, and save BIOS. That's to eliminate anything you might have changed there, or that got corrupted.

2) Uninstall any and every program that can modify cpu or gpu settings. Reboot.

If you have a good cpu running at stock speeds, an operating heat sink properly attached with thermal paste applied, there really isn't any way the processor should shut down. So you need to carefully go back and do these things with a view to figuring out what you have done wrong.
1) Clear CMOS, restore factory defaults, and save BIOS. That's to eliminate anything you might have changed there, or that got corrupted.

2) Uninstall any and every program that can modify cpu or gpu settings. Reboot.

If you have a good cpu running at stock speeds, an operating heat sink properly attached with thermal paste applied, there really isn't any way the processor should shut down. So you need to carefully go back and do these things with a view to figuring out what you have done wrong.

Solution
UNDERCLOCK CPU not Solution / just repair your regulation Air In & Out, see your temp via HWmonitor Pro, www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html, if your CPu under 60*C it SAFE, if over replace new HSF, Add more Fan for HDD, NB, SB & 2pcs for Out Hot Air (Back case), your casing always open don close so we know temperature down in HWmonitor
Operating : go BIOS press F9 (Load Optimal default) save restart and than check your temp in HWmonitor Pro

drumorgan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the help. Just a few questions (not a real stud when it comes to computers lol)

Twoboxer - If I just reformat, will that clear my bios and make it factory default?
I havn't changed anything (that I know of) because I'm not too comfortable with changing stuff that I really have no idea what it does.

Henydiah - I have HWmonitor Pro, when I put my cpu's running at 100% (in windows settings) and run a cpu load test, the temps raise to around 70* C and would probably keep rising if I didn't stop the test. The heatsink fan is working at 100% and I've cleaned it quite a few times since this problem has been happening.

Again, thank you both for your replies.

"Reformat" typically means wiping your hard drive and installing a fresh copy of the operating system. "Clearing CMOS" is different, and I apologize for not giving you detailed instructions on how to do it. But first a simplistic bit about what it is . . .

When you first power up your computer there is actually a small "operating system" contained on a separate chip (CMOS) on your motherboard. That chip contains a Basic I/O System (BIOS) that is used to do some setup stuff and then go to your hard drive and begin the bootup of your real OS, Windows. It has a rechargeable battery that keeps power to that chip when the PC is unplugged so that this critical set of instructions doesn't disappear.

The mobo also provides a "setup program" that allows you to set certain parameters and store the personalized copy of BIOS in CMOS.

So here are the steps you need to follow:

- Pull plug from wall.
- Remove battery from mobo (usually a small button battery) which removes power from CMOS.
- Press the case power button a couple of times (this drains the power supply and ensures that *all* power is removed from CMOS, thus clearing it).
- Wait 5 minutes ( to be absolutely sure).
- Replace battery on mobo, plug PC into wall.
- Boot up, and go immediately into BIOS setup.***
- Find and use the option to "Load factory defaults".
- Save and Exit.

This puts a clean copy of the basic OS and the parameters needed for your memory and other stuff to operate into CMOS.

*** When the very first display appears on your screen, you need to spam the key that will get you into BIOS setup. This varies by computer, but typically its the "DEL" or "F4" key. The very first brief splash screen you see usually shows what key is used, or you can check your PC or motherboard manual.